10 Things To Do for Galentine’s Day

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emmanuel chapter.

Galentine’s Day is a wonderful holiday devoted to loving your friends, occurring February 13th. The holiday was started by the one and only Leslie Knope from Parks and Recreation and reminds all of us to spend a day loving our amazing friends. Round up all your favorite ladies and tackle this list to make this year’s holiday one to remember!

1. Buy yourself some flowers! Who needs a significant other to buy them flowers when you can walk down the street to Star Market and get some yourself?! Flowers are so beautiful, especially at this time of year when it is cold, snowy and all the plants are dead. Star Market has tons of options at an affordable price and you get to pick them yourself which means you get the kind YOU like.

2. Head to Neighborhoods with friends! If you haven’t been to Neighborhoods Cafe yet, this is a must in the Fenway area. They have savory and dessert crepes as well as yummy snacks and drinks. 

3. Candy. This is one trend from Valentine’s Day that I think anyone can get behind. Target and Star Market have entire aisles devoted to chocolate right now. Want to save? Go to the store on the 15th when all of it is discounted!

4. Craft! Embrace your inner elementary-schooler and gather your friends to make fun decorations for your room! Pinterest has great ideas right now. Check out this adorable heart wreath or get fancy with this rainbow heart craft. Not a crafter? Target has some great decorations in the dollar section.

5. Decorate cookies! Baking treats is one of the best parts of this holiday.  Make basic sugar cookies or even buy the dough and bake it! Extra points if you make them into hearts. Then, you can make different colored frostings and decorate to your heart’s content.

6. Watch rom-coms. Netflix is the place to go on the 14th. Check out the classics! There are countless great options. Some of my recommendations are  How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days, Clueless, The Wedding Planner, Failure to Launch, Bridget Jones’s Diary, and Leap Year.

7. Treat yo self. If you were in a relationship you would probably be buying your SO a gift… so why not get yourself one! You can also buy fun things for your friends to send them some love. In a relationship? Get yourself something too; nothing wrong with a little self love ;) Check out some things I’ve had my eye on here, here and here.

8. Make cards for your friends and family. Who doesn’t want to get a card from someone saying they love hanging out with you?! I personally like to make my cards with puns but you can always make your own message or decorate with hearts! While you’re at it, send some to your family.

9. Embrace the day and wear pink or red. Sure it’s cliche, but pink is such a happy color! Here’s some inspiration for fun pieces.

10. Have fun! So many people hate this holiday “because it was created by Hallmark” or because it makes you feel bad for not being in a relationship. STOP. Love yourself, love your friends, or simply ignore the day and have a lovely Tuesday.

A small but mighty 5'4 female who is a lover of dogs, all things chocolate and fashion. Sophomore at Emmanuel College.
Sammy is a senior at Emmanuel College, majoring in English: Communications & Media Studies with a minor in Music-Theater. She discovered Her Campus through College Fashion Week: Boston, and has since re-launched Emmanuel's chapter and become a National Intern. On campus, Sammy gives weekly tours as an Admissions Ambassador, is a member of the Honors Program and stars in an as many theatrical productions as possible. She was also an Orientation Leader for the Class of 2019. Outside of school, she works as a sales associate at Charlotte Russe and manages a personal style blog called Backyard Beauty. An obsessive organizer, social media addict and fashion maven, Sammy dreams of living a lavish life as a magazine contributor in New York City after graduation. Follow her on Twitter @sammysays19 and Instagram @backyardbeautyxo or visit backyardbeautyxo.tumblr.com/.