Your (Healthy!) Guide to City Place

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

A lot of Emerson students are unaware of the plethora of food awaiting them in City Place. Located next to Walker Building and Sweetwater Tavern, City Place is comprised of restaurants such as California Pizza Kitchen, Sandella’s Flatbread Cafe, and PF Chang’s. With so many options, City Place can be a little overwhelming. That is why I am here to tell you the healthiest options at each eatery.

California Pizza Kitchen:
California Pizza Kitchen is one of the easier restaurants to get a good, healthy meal at. CPK has their nutritional information online, so definitely check that out beforehand. I have selected a few of my favorite CPK classics that are healthy and delicious!

• Asparagus and Arugula Salad– arugula, asparagus, and sun-dried tomatoes tossed in homemade lemon vinaigrette, topped with almonds and shaved Grano Padano Parmesan. With only 189 calories you really can’t go wrong with this small plate!
  • Roasted Artichoke and Spinach Thin-crust Pizza– Artichoke hearts, sautéed garlic spinach, Fontina, Mozzarella and Parmesan with spinach artichoke sauce. This yummy pizza can be made with a whole wheat crust for an even healthier meal.
  • Grilled Vegetable Sandwich– Portobello mushrooms, bell peppers, Fontina and Mozzarella, field greens, tomatoes and homemade sun-dried tomato aioli. Served with your choice of herb onion or herb cheese focaccia and your choice of a cup of soup or a classic Caesar salad. This sandwich is my favorite thing to order at CPK- so delicious!

Sandella’s Flatbread Cafe:
What I love about Sandella’s is their online nutrition calculator. It makes it so easy to customize your meal and find out exactly what you’re eating. You can even share meals that you create on Facebook!

• Things to stay away from: Quesadillas. They may seem appetizing, but they have the highest fat content of any other food on the menu. 
  • Must haves: Any of their wraps, paninis, or salads. I recommend the hummus wrap (Hummus, lettuce, tomato, cucumbers & light ranch dressing) or the Fiesta Salad (Romaine lettuce, chicken, tomato, black beans, corn & light Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing).
  • Tips: Order the dressing on the side and ask for less cheese. This will greatly cut down on the fat content and calories without compromising taste.

PF Chang’s:
When looking at the nutrition facts on the PF Chang’s website pay attention to the serving sizes. The calories may seem tame- until you see that there are four or five servings per dish! The portions are large so don’t feel like you have to finish everything on your plate. I recommend:

• The Buddah’s Feast with brown rice, baked tofu and mixed vegetables. Served steamed or stir-fried, This is a healthy, low fat option that is still a good sized meal.
  • The Seared Ahi Tuna. Sushi grade ahi tuna, served chilled with spicy mustard vinaigrette and fresh mixed greens. Tuna is a very lean fish that has a lot of protein. This appetizer is a great, healthy start to any meal.
  • Food here is incredibly high in sodium–some dishes have up to three times your daily allowance. If you’re watching your sodium, bypass all sauces and ask for food to be cooked without added salt.
Shannon is a journalism major at Emerson College, where she is involved in many different organizations ranging from social media and writing to fashion and styling. Originally from New Hampshire, she loves Boston and one day wants to work for a news station in either Boston or New York City.
Lorena Mora is a student at Emerson College currently pursuing a degree in visual & media arts. Other interests include social media, passion tea lemonade, blogging, baby animals, spending the day at IKEA, baking cupcakes, and traveling the East Coast. An avid blogger, lorena has written for such publications as Em magazine, Her campus.com, Cliche Magazine and on her own movie-review blog, The Aftertaste. Lorena currently serves as President and Editor In Chief of the Her Campus Emerson branch.