sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Your Halloween Costume Upgrade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Halloween costumes are a split road in that you can go one of two ways with them. You can take advantage of the holiday and use it as a time to get your creative juices flowing, using your wit to make your costume the most talked about of the party. Or…you can fall flat, relying on the same stereotypical costume ideas as every other girl. If you find yourself looking around a Halloween party and seeing at least seven people in the same costume as you, you might need some help. But never fear! Her Campus is here with your costume fix-it guide.

Original: The cat costume/any “cute” animal

This costume usually consists of an everyday ensemble (leggings/yoga pants with a black t-shirt), cat ears, and a cat nose and whiskers drawn on with eyeliner. Basically code for “I had nothing to wear, but own a lot of black.” Alternatives include another small, furry animal, depending on the ears worn. Tail occasionally included. (See Mean Girls to get an idea of this.)

Upgrade:

Trade up from cat to big cat by dressing as a lion. Swap out the blackout gear for a tan top and a fuzzy tail inspired by The Lion King. Stick with the eyeliner makeup, but replace the ears with a fierce mane. Bonus: It’s very school spirited. Right, Emerson lions?

Original: Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly in Breakfast at Tiffany’s

Almost every girl resorts to throwing on a LBD and some pearls to mimic this iconic role. Not to mention attempts to replicate Audrey’s killer up-do and graceful way with that cigarette holder.

Upgrade:

While Audrey was classic in Breakfast at Tiffany’s, she’s not the only lady in black playing an iconic role. Leather pants and jacket, black skimpy top, and some serious curls and you have Sandy from Grease. Alternatively, you can go as pre-makeover Sandy and rock a poodle skirt and sweater set. Your call.

Original: The witch

Another resort to all black, but with a witch’s hat being the distinguishing accessory. Simple, easy, and completely lacking any originality. Unless of course, you add some green face paint and a broom as well.

Upgrade:

Who is our generation’s favorite witch? Hermione Granger, of course. Just give some major volume to your hair, sport the Gryffindor colors, and accessorize with a wand. If Hermione is too passé, then take a cue from the stylish witches of American Horror Story: Coven. You can stick with all black, but trade in the witch’s hat for Taissa Farmiga’s bowler.

Original: The sexy schoolgirl

Rolling up your old plaid uniform skirt and tying up the ends of a button-up will just make you cold. Wearing your roommate’s glasses will just make it harder to see. And this costume in general will just make you indistinguishable.

Upgrade:

Show off your true intellectual side in a more cunning way. There are an abundance of clever literary references you can use for a Halloween costume. Take a cue from Boston’s new Poe statue and go as the Raven from his famous poem. Don some black feathers and a mask and voila – automatic conversation starter.

Original: Rosie the Riveter

Sure, Rosie’s pretty awesome, but really? You can find better things to do with a bandana, denim shirt, and a red lip.

Upgrade:

Who famously recreated the Rosie the Riveter poster? Who can be considered a champion of women in our day and age? No other than the one and only Beyonce. Recreate her take on Rosie if you’re stuck with limited resources, but if your wardrobe is a little more extensive, you can recreate one of her more striking looks. Might we suggest Foxy Cleopatra?

Erin is a junior at Emerson College studying journalism, publishing, and writing. She comes from southeastern Massachusetts and enjoys reading magazines, getting hooked on new TV shows, traveling, and spending time with her dog. Erin hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @erin_kayata.
Emerson contributor