Yoga To Get You Through The Rest Of The Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

With only a few weeks separating us from the end of the semester, it may seem like the days are dragging on. You wake up on Monday and before you know it, it’s still Monday and you have two exams three essays and a project due by Friday. Can it get any more stressful? Luckily getting through these last few weeks doesn’t have to be so hard! Some people read, some people write, and some people need other ways to relieve stress. We happen to love yoga. And with these stress-relieving moves, you’ll be able to get through the rest of the semester with ease!

1. Standing Forward Bend

Fold down from your hips as you reach your hands down to your feet. Keep your knees straight as you exhale and stretch down as far as is comfortable. Use this to lengthen the torso and open up your tense muscles!

2. Downward Dog

This is a great pose to begin any yoga sequence, especially the Sun Salutation Sequence which is seriously amazing (we highly recommend it!) Starting on your hands and knees, slowly walk your hands away from you before lifting and straightening your knees. Your body should form an upside-down V. You’ll feel a burn if your muscles aren’t that flexible yet, but this pose is a sure fire way to get your body in the right mood to relax.

3. Dolphin Pose

Starting from downward dog, lean forward slightly as you lower yourself onto your forearms as opposed to your hands. This one really opens the shoulders and strengthens the muscles all over your body. It also helps you focus and concentrate as you hold your position.

4. Dolphin Plank Pose

This is a plank modification that works at tightening and strengthening your muscles. And it’s a great transition between poses especially after Dolphin pose! Just lower yourself into plank position, but instead of resting on your hands rest on your forearms! Your mind and body will thank you later!

5. Bridge Pose

Lying on your back with your feet firmly planted in front of you, lift your torso and thighs from the ground and hold the position as high as you can. Your legs will start to warm up and you’ll feel your mind calming as you exhale and bring your body back down to the ground!

6. Cobra

A great pose for flexibility and strengthening posture, the cobra pose is one that may seem harder than it looks. Lying flat on the floor, tighten all the muscles of your legs and torso and lift the front of your body off of the floor. Keep your hands by your rib cage, but try not to use the muscles in your arms to lift you up. After 30 seconds of this pose you’ll feel your body easy and your stress drift away!

7. Child’s Pose

This is a great way to end any yoga sequence. It’s a nice, restful, and relaxing pose that lengthens and lifts your muscles as well as calms your mind. And you can stay in this pose for as long as you want! And the longer you hold this pose, the less you’ll want to ever leave it!

Putting all these poses together works to calm the mind and body, helping you clear your head and relax your muscles. Everyone needs a few minutes out of every day to relax and think about oneself. And with these moves, all the stress that you’ve accumulated throughout the day will melt away.

Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop