This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter in Boston is tough on a lot of things, including our attitudes, our skin and even our hair. During the winter, chances are, your hair is going to be a little more dry than usual. But dry hair can be treated! Find out why your hair is having a rough time this winter, and what you can do to help out.

“So, why is my hair so dry this winter?”

Washing your hair

You don’t need to wash your hair every day – this is a big reason why many girls have dry hair and split ends. By washing your hair every day, you’re not letting your hair grab onto and soak in natural essential oils needed to achieve that smooth, soft feel.

Weather

With winter comes extreme cold, often followed by extreme heat indoors (whenever you step inside a classroom, your bedroom or office, have you noticed how hot it’s been?). This move from one weather extreme to another can leave your hair dry and longing for love.

Daily styling

Whether it’s your blow-dryer, straightening iron or curling iron, it is bad to put that much strain on your hair every single day. The daily heat from the styling object to your hair will take all of the moisture out of your hair, leaving it dry and brittle.

“How can I fix my hair?”

Try coconut oil

Personally, I am a huge fan of coconut oil hair treatments – I do one every Sunday for at least six hours. Coconut oil repairs your hair, leaving it glossy and soft. Get a bottle of coconut oil (I get mine from Trader Joe’s), heat it up until it is in liquid form, and put about 1/4 – 1/3 cup in your hair, but keep away from your roots! Leave in for 5-6 hours, and then rinse, rinse, rinse!

Time for some new shampoo

Go to your local drug store and check to see if they have any sulfate-free shampoos and conditioners. These formulas are often used for color-treated or chemically treated hair (i.e. for those lucky ladies that get keratin). It is recommended for color-treated and chemically treated hair to use these sulfate-free products because sulfates fade color and chemicals, but they also take away moisture from your hair. So, by getting sulfate-free products, all the moisture remains in your hair.

Hair is tricky, all year round. Avoid one more problem this winter and take extra good care of your hair.

Emerson contributor