Why You Should Be Watching ABC’s ‘Quantico’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

I first watched ABC’s Quantico because it seemed like a gripping entertainer that followed the life of Alex Parrish, who is accused of the biggest terrorist attack in USA since 9/11. The story arc lived up to my expectations, but the reason everyone should watch is because it is one of the most pro-feminist TV shows I’ve ever watched. 

To begin with, the protagonist of the show, Alex, is a woman of color. Portrayed by Priyanka Chopra, one of the biggest actresses in Bollywood, Alex Parrish is of Indian heritage. In the five years that I’ve been glued to American TV, I’ve never seen a character of Indian heritage. 

She doesn’t stick to the Indian stereotypes either. She breaks them. She wants to serve her country, USA and she does so by becoming an FBI recruit. Priyanka Chopra isn’t forced to fake an Indian accent, either. While this seems like it’s a very small thing, a number of viewers who are Americans of Indian heritage finally have someone representing them in mainstream media (and not just making Indians look like confused mathematicians). Alex Parrish knows how to take care of herself and the people around her. She is one of the most refreshing characters I’ve seen on TV in a while. 

The best thing about Quantico? Alex isn’t the only woman of color. Aunjanue Ellis plays Miranda Shaw, the Deputy Director of Quantico. It is great to see that she isn’t forced to portray the “angry black woman” stereotype. Miranda Shaw is sleek and in control. She’s intelligent and smart. Adding to this mix is Yasmine Elmasri (spoiler!) playing the tough twins, Nimah and Raina Anwar. Nimah and Raina are again, breaking stereotypes together. They aren’t the terrorists, they’re on everyone’s good side. The trainees they work with like them, although they all think that it is only Nimah they’re interacting with. It is great to see them wearing a hijab; Muslim viewers never get such representation on TV. 

It gets better. Quantico doesn’t just tackle issues of race and lack of representation, it is also a very straightforward feminist TV show. Alex Parrish has sex with some guy she met on a plane. When Ryan Booth, the guy in question, reintroduces himself at the academy like they’ve never met before, she says, “We had sex in your car, six hours ago.” When he replies that he didn’t think she wanted anyone to know, she retorts, “And why is that?” Honestly, this was one of my favorite scenes on the show. Quantico doesn’t have any sexist sl*t-shaming. When I say its a pro-feminist TV show, I really mean it. Quantico is a show that’s pushing boundaries on TV. It represents POC, supports feminism and also has a terribly intriguing storyline. Need I give you more reasons to watch the show? I think not. 

Emerson contributor