Why We Can’t Stop Talking About ‘Hamilton’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There’s a new musical sensation sweeping the nation, and its name is Hamilton.  Hamilton: An American Musical was written by actor and composer Lin-Manuel Miranda, known for creating and starring in In the Heights.  The show debuted Off-Broadway in February 2015.  It transferred to Broadway this past August after huge success.  The production explores the life of founding father Alexander Hamilton, beginning the moment Hamilton first arrived in America and ending with his death in 1804.  Over the duration of its two acts, the show touches on Hamilton’s revolutionary efforts, as well as his roles as both a politician and husband. 

Hamilton has been making headlines ever since it opened in August.  The public reaction has been so positive that the show is now sold out for months in advance.  The hype surrounding the show got so big that even President Obama had to go see it for himself. 

Why all the fuss, you wonder?  Well, Hamilton is making waves for two main reasons: the cast and the music.

When you hear of a production about the life and times of one of America’s founding fathers you would assume that the cast would largely be composed of a bunch of old white guys, right?  Not the case with HamiltonHamilton’s cast is predominantly composed of actors and actresses of African-American and Hispanic descent.  The show re-imagines the landscape of the American Revolution to reflect the country today, and to give a new perspective on the voices of the founding fathers.

The show’s music is revolutionary as well.  Hamilton’s album is a fresh and lively blend of hip-hop and rap.  As you browse through all of the tracks, you will find rap battles between founding fathers, epic battles, R&B ballads and more.  The music is just as ambitious and captivating as the show’s main character, and you will find that once you’ve heard them, the songs will be stuck in your head for weeks. The album is so good that it even made it to the number one spot on the Billboard rap charts, a feat that no other Broadway production has ever accomplished. 

If you still don’t understand why Hamilton is a smash hit, check it out for yourself.  Listen to the music, look up the cast members, etc.  Trust me, you will never experience a history lesson more entertaining than this show.  

Melissa Close is from Waterford, Connecticut. She is majoring in Writing, Literature & Publishing at Emerson College.
Emerson contributor