Which Eye Makeup Palette is Right for You?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Pretty, sparkly, irresistible packaging…intimidating. I’m sure these words cross your mind when you think of eye makeup palettes. The gorgeous colors, cute packaging and perhaps even mini samples make these palettes very tempting. But something always makes you question whether or not to buy that bundle of eye candy. You think to yourself, “Will I really wear this? Are the shades even right for my eye color or skin tone? Is the price tag worth it?” It’s a daunting moment we’ve all experienced. Luckily, this guide is here to help you find which eye makeup palette is right for you. Feast your eyes on this!

1. Urban Decay ‘Naked’ Palette 

Eye palette royalty—no, seriously. Kate Middleton covets the original ‘Naked’ palette. If it’s princess approved, it must be perf. The 12 highly pigmented shades in this palette can create an infinite amount of looks and suit any skin tone and eye color. Shimmery and matte shades will give your eye makeup dimension and give you options. It’s seriously the only palette you will ever need. 

2. LORAC Pro Palette

Another palette that does it all. LORAC Pro can help you achieve any eye look with basic shades like white, black, nude, and taupe. This palette has 16 shades, giving you four more than the ‘Naked’ palette. There is an ongoing debate in the beauty community as to which one is better. Pick up the LORAC Pro if you want a practical, high-quality palette with an equal amount of matte and shimmery shades. 

3. Too Faced Chocolate Bar Palette

No false advertising here! It actually smells like chocolate! The sweet scent and cute chocolate themed shadow names are enough to make you want to buy it! It’s almost good enough to eat. The Chocolate Bar features a mix of neutral and colorful shades to play up your eyes. Greens, pinks, purples, and golds will suit hazel, green and brown eyes nicely, although anyone can indulge in this palette. 

4. Coastal Scents 88 Original Palette

You can paint with all the colors of the wind with this eye shadow palette! Beauty gurus have loved these 88 shades for years. If you never want to be without a color, this is the palette for you. 

5. Maybelline The Nudes Palette

12 shades for $10 – now that’s a beauty bargain! The colors are very versatile and will suit any eye color or skin tone. The Nudes palette is a fabulous option if you’re on a budget but still want to get the Urban Decay Naked palette look.

What palette has caught your eye?

Bitsy Skerry is a freshman at Emerson College majoring in Marketing Communication. She loves all things fashion and has a personal style blog, Bits of Style (www.bits-of-style.blogspot.com). Her style icon is Audrey Hepburn and her favorite movie is The Devil Wears Prada. Bitsy plans to work in the fashion industry.
Emerson contributor