What to do if Your Parents Don’t Visit for Parents Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

During high school orientation, the principal told us that there were three types of student/parent relationships:  one where the student encouraged parents to be involved with school and parent organizations, one where the student ignored their parents, and a relationship in between those two extremes.  The principal said that any of the relationships were acceptable, and that they take some time to get used to. 

Salem, Mass

The same is true for college.  It doesn’t matter whether your parents are thirty minutes or three hours away.  You can keep in contact with them as much or as little as you like.  Sometimes it’s nice to take a break from parents, but it can get lonely, especially around Family Weekend.  Whether they don’t come because of distance, prior commitments, or because you don’t want them to, that doesn’t mean that the weekend has to be boring or sad.

The first thing to remember is that it is just another weekend.  Sure, there will be enthusiastic Emersonians and parents running around, but this isn’t too far from the norm.  Emerson is placed in a great area, right on the Boston Commons and Garden, just minutes away from Newbury Street.  If you are feeling sad because your roommate’s parents are in town, take some “me” time and spend the day outdoors.  Another great “me” time activity is catching up on your TV shows or sleep.  Take advantage of your roommate being out of the room.

Another bit of advice, if your roommates parents invite you to lunch or dinner, go.  The food will be excellent and they will probably pay for it.  If you don’t want to hang out with your roommate’s parents, take time to explore.  Explore Harvard Square and all it has to offer.  Take advantage of Emerson’s free passes to Boston Museums.  If you usually study in the library, try out the Boston Public Library.  It’s a short walk from Emerson, and there is free Wi-Fi.

One last idea is to take a day trip to Salem.  The closer to Halloween, the more fun it will be, especially to people watch. Take the 450 or 455 bus from Haymarket or the Rockport/Ipswich commuter rail from North Station. 

Whether you venture off campus or use the time to watch Netflix without pants, have a great time! Remember, it is just a weekend.  And the best part about your parents not visiting: you won’t have to clean your room!

Hi, I'm Alie! I'm a senior Writing for TV and Film major and double minoring in Marketing Communications and Hearing and Deafness. In my free time I love spending time with my friends, sorority Sigma Pi Theta, and wandering outside and eating cupcakes!
Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.