This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Boston is a great city for students because there are always many things to do and places to see.  The Freedom Trail is one of Boston’s most historic ways to explore the city.  Walk the freedom trail with a friend or a special someone.  The fall is a nice time to be outside in the crisp air and surrounded by the colorful leaves.  Even if you aren’t interested in Boston’s history, the Freedom Trail is the perfect way to get to know your way around the city.

The Freedom Trail starts at the Boston Common.  Fun Fact: The Boston Common is America’s oldest park.   Enjoy the peaceful scenery as you walk.  You can walk the Freedom Trail independently or you can take a tour from a knowledgeable guide.  Student tickets are $9.  Group discounts are available. Tickets can be purchased online on the Freedom Trail website or at ArtsBoston booth in Faneuil Hall and Copley.

The Freedom Trail is 2.5 miles long.  Follow the historic red trail to the State House, with its beautiful architecture.  Next visit the Park Street Church and the Granary Burying Ground.  How many famous people do you recognize buried here?  Do you recognize any notable names in the Kings Chapel burying ground?

Next, the Freedom Trail will lead you to Faneuil Hall.  Mixed in with historical information is a food court and shopping booths.  Visit the Cheers Bar or toughen your skin at Dick’s Last Resort, a themed restaurant where the waiters serve attitude.  Trot on over to Paul Revere’s house, which dates back to 1680.  Do you know how much of the Paul Revere myth is true?  Did he really shout ‘the British are coming?’

After, head on over to the Benjamin Franklin statue and Boston Latin School.  Find out which four signers of the Declaration of Independence went to this school.  It might surprise you that one dropped out and never graduated high school.

The next stop is a visit to the sight of the bloody Boston Massacre.  Whether religious or not, the Old North Church, Boston’s oldest church, is a landmark for all to see.

Other exciting stops include the Old State House, Old South Meeting House, Old Corner Book Store, Copp’s Hill Burying Ground, the Bunker Hill Monument, and the USS Constitution.

The Freedom Trail is a great way to see the sights of Boston and get some exercise. Here are a few ways to spice up the walk:  create a fun historical trivia game or a picture scavenger hunt.  Walk the trail with a friend.  Take pictures along the way to save the memories.  Do whatever you please as you immerse yourself in Boston’s rich and exciting history.

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.