element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital fuZWqL1C2rM unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Underrated Christmas Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We all have our favorite Christmas movies that we are excited to watch this time of year. Rudolph, A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, and all the other classics are great movies that should be on the list. However, there are plenty of lesser-known Christmas movies that should be celebrated along with the famous ones. Here are 5 movies you probably haven’t seen, but definitely should this season.

5. All I Want for Christmas

All I Want for Christmas is a cliché holiday movie centered on a little girl’s desire for her parents to get remarried for Christmas. Hallie O’Fallon’s mom is engaged, and of course her soon-to-be step dad is an awful human being, so she asks Santa to get her mom and dad back together. The movie follows the antics she and her brother go through to make sure this happens in time for Christmas. If this doesn’t sound cheesy and holiday-esque enough to make your watch list, it is worth noting that Thora Birch (Danni from Hocus Pocus) plays Hallie.

4. Annabelle’s Wish

Annabelle’s Wish is an animated movie about a cow that wants to be a reindeer. I feel that’s all the detail you need to want to watch this movie.

3. Full Court Miracle

Full Court Miracle is a Disney Channel Original Hanukkah movie about the bond formed between an unlikely coach and the boy’s basketball team he coaches at a Jewish Day School. The underdog team and their coach come from completely different backgrounds, but learn about each other through religion, and in true Disney Channel fashion, their sport. Not to mention one of the main characters is played by Alex D. Linz (Max Keeble.)

2. Unlikely Angel

Unlikely Angel is a movie staring Dolly Parton, who is stuck in purgatory after running her car off the road to avoid hitting a deer. She hadn’t lived a very “pure” life, but St. Peter decides to give her a second chance because by saving the deer she proved she had a good heart. In order to prove she is worthy of becoming an angel, she is assigned to nanny a family that is falling apart after the death of their mother. The kids are stubborn, the dad is close-minded, and Dolly Parton is impatient. As Christmas approaches she struggles to bring them together and earn her wings. It is cliché, funny, and ridiculous, and perfect for this time of year.

1. Karroll’s Christmas

Karroll’s Christmas is a bizarre TV Christmas movie about a man who is visited by the ghosts of Christmas past, present, and future after they mix up the address they are sent to. To prevent getting in trouble with their boss, the ghosts show the man whose house they accidently ended up at the past, present, and future of his neighbor who they were originally sent to see. It is a funny movie because it is supposed to be a comedy but also because of how ridiculous it is. Definitely not a conventional Christmas story and a good break from the usual movies you will be watching this December.

Emerson contributor