This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

The 38th Annual Tufts 10k for Women’s Health took place this past Columbus Day with a very successful turn out. The 6.2 mile annual race began in 1978 to promote women’s health, but has evolved into a day to celebrate health for all ages and genders. The race includes a 1k for children to take part in and a series of sponsors who serve healthy food samples during and after the race to anyone attending.

The race was extremely well organized, having the runners line up by seeds before it began. Each runner received a number, bag check ticket, and shirt after paying the $45 registration fee. In the number-bib was a microchip, which allowed runners to be tracked, and have their times recorded accurately by officials. Throughout the course of the race there were 6 water stations where runners could find quick refreshment if needed. There were also mile marks at each mile, complete with a time so that participants could stay on pace. The 10k began promptly at 12pm on Beacon Street outside of the Boston Common. From there, runners stayed on Beacon until turning onto the Mass. Ave Bridge and straight into Cambridge. The race is essentially a big loop from there until participants are back to the bridge, turn onto Commonwealth, and then finally Charles Street for the finish line.

The atmosphere of the race was extremely encouraging and positive; even the weather was beautiful that day. There were crowds of families, friends, and volunteers cheering on participants the entire route to keep morale up. This year’s winner came in at 31:39. That’s an extremely impressive time, but don’t be intimidated if you’re interested in participating next year. Plenty of people walk the course. The event felt very community-based, with friendly volunteers and full family participants. Those who did not run were free to hang out in the Common where vendors from various health food companies gave out samples, sold products, and shared information with the crowd. “It was exhilarating,” said Rose Paleologos, an Emerson sophomore and participant, “it really inspired me to run more.” That’s great news for the Tufts 10k, because the whole goal was to encourage healthy lifestyles. I strongly encourage anyone considering it to register next year. 

Emerson contributor