Throwback Thursday: 90s and 00s Pop Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Don’t deny it: you still get emotional while listening to Britney Spears’ “Lucky” and you still know every single word and dance move to ‘N Sync’s “Bye Bye Bye.” Sometimes it’s comforting to reminisce on the good ole’ days. That’s why we’ve composed this list of albums and songs that are perfectly #tbt approved.

Let us take you back to the time when you’d press play on your Backstreet Boys Hit Clips and have a full on “Larger Than Life” jam session in your room. 

Embrace your inner fangirl and read on to revisit some of your old favorite songs that you still know every word to.

Albums:

Hilary Duff – Metamorphosis

Last month Hilary Duff’s Metamorphosis celebrated it’s ten-year anniversary. Yes, it’s been ten years since you belted out “Why Not” at every sleepover you ever attended as a preteen.  This is also the album that gave us hits such as “So Yesterday”, “Sweet Sixteen”, and “Come Clean.” By the way, do you remember the “Come Clean” music video? It involves a lot of rain and Hilary Duff singing passionately… next to a bathtub. Watch it below:

N’ Sync – No Strings Attached

Before there was One Direction, there was N’ Sync. As you remember, N’ Sync was all the rage with their No Strings Attached record. If you popped the album into your CD player, you were instantly able to hear the singles “Bye Bye Bye” and “It’s Gonna Be Me.” If you didn’t see their beautiful and nostalgic reunion performance at this year’s VMAs, then you haven’t lived.  For your convenience, we’ve linked it below. (Note: the guys aren’t really getting back together, but they did make a Twitter.)

Britney Spears – Oops! … I Did It Again

So after Britney’s first album, … Baby One More Time, she decided to do it again and we’re so happy she did! If it weren’t obvious before, this album totally secured her the title as the Pop Princess. The singles off of this album were “Oops! … I Did it Again”, “Lucky”, “Stronger”, and “Don’t Let Me Be the Last to Know.” Check out the music video for “Lucky” and watch as Brit-Brit sits on a giant star, throws a lot of confetti, and sings to herself:

Backstreet Boys – Millennium

By putting N’ Sync on this list, the Backstreet Boys obviously had to be on it too. First, let’s just talk about the album’s artwork: Five guys, dressed all in white, with perfect hair and a futuristic background? So “millennium” of them. Two of the most popular singles off this album were “Larger than Life” and “I Want It That Way.” Unlike N’ Sync, this band is still together and recently celebrated their 20th anniversary. The guys just finished up the North American leg of their In A World Like This tour. If you missed them, then simply watch the music video below over, and over again to fill the void.

Songs:

Below are some throwback songs that are worth mentioning. Maybe you can’t remember that the A*Teens sang “Upside Down,” or perhaps you can’t recall that the Michelle Branch song you were in love with is titled “Everywhere.” It’s okay if the only Spice Girls song you ever listened to was “Wannabe,” or if you only know “Beautiful Soul” by Jesse McCartney because it was aired on Radio Disney. Here is a short list of songs to reintroduce you to some classic Pop gems. Plus, who doesn’t love a little old school Avril?

Jesse McCartney – Beautiful Soul

A*Teens – Upside Down (Bouncing Off The Ceiling)

Spice Girls – Wannabe

Michelle Branch – Everywhere

Avril Lavigne – Sk8er Boi

What was your favorite song of your preteen years? Or, what throwback song do you still obnoxiously sing while in the shower? Tell us in the comments below!

Cassidy is a Digital Production intern at Her Campus. She's currently a junior studying journalism at Emerson College. Cassidy also is a freelance reporter at the Napa Valley Register and a staff writer at Her Campus Emerson. Previously she blogged for Seventeen Magazine at the London 2012 Olympics, wrote for Huffington Post as a teen blogger and was a Team Advisor at the National Student Leadership Conference on Journalism, Film, & Media Arts at University of California, Berkeley and American University in Washington, D.C.. When she's not uploading content to Her Campus or working on her next article, Cassidy can be found planning her next adventure or perfecting her next Instagram. Follow her on Twitter at @cassidyyjayne and @cassidyjhopkins.  
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop