element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
element5 digital MEzqoN8p6C0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Thank You Significant Other: A Thanksgiving Letter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Dear Girlfriend—

Romantic partners get their fair share of acknowledgement on Valentine’s Day and anniversaries every year, but on Thanksgiving significant others aren’t always given the attention they deserve. What is a better time to express gratitude to your other half than at Thanksgiving?

So I just wanted to take a moment to say, “thank you!” I’ll never be able to express how grateful I am to have you in my life, but I can try to cover some of the little things.

Thank you for being yourself, and for letting me be myself too.

Thank you for all of the time you spend with me; you could easily spend that time doing something else, but you give it to me, and that’s really special.

Thank you for being a hand to hold under the table every holiday.

Thank you for being supportive of everything I try to take on.

Thank you for playing Christmas music in October, and for creating holiday magic when the stress of the fall semester threatens to suck the joy out of it.  

Thank you for making traditions with me.

Thank you for dancing with me, even though you “don’t dance.”

Thank you for making me feel beautiful, always.

Thank you for saying “I love you,” even when we fight.

Thank you for taking care of me.

Thank you for eggs in the morning and clean clothes when I run out of time and energy to do laundry.

Thank you for letting me take care of you.

Thank you for understanding my independence as well, for understanding that some things I have to continue to do for myself.

Thank you for getting me out of my head. I tend to get lost in there when I’m feeling overwhelmed.

Thank you for letting me be sappy. I know you don’t love overly sentimental things, so I appreciate you indulging me.

Thank you for sharing your beautiful smile with me, and for making me laugh until I snort.

Thank you for exploring with me, whether we’re on a trip or in our own city.

Thank you for surprises and homemade presents.  

Thank you for being endlessly kind to others, for being the type of person I’m so proud to call mine.

Thank you for sharing some of your light and love.  

Thank you for every wonderful, love-filled moment you’ve given me. I’m so excited to create more memories with you, over this holiday season and in the many years to come.

With love,

Your Girlfriend

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor