This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Realizing you have an anxiety disorder in college can be rough. College is stressful enough with classes, extra-curricular activities, work, family, friends, relationships, and sleep all battling for the center of your attention. When anxiety is added to the mix, it can be hard to function. If you struggle with anxiety, you are not alone. Luckily there are many resources to turn to if you’re beginning to feel like your symptoms are getting out of control.

On Emerson’s campus there are several places you can go if you want to speak with someone face-to-face. Consider making an appointment with Emerson Counseling and Psychological Services (ECAPS) to speak with a counselor. You can stop by for a one-time venting session or make a plan to come by regularly. No matter what you do, talking to someone about controlling your anxiety is important. If you need urgent help, there are also have many hotlines and numbers available here. Sometimes anxiety results in physical symptoms as well. If bodily distress is impacting your happiness, visit the Health and Wellness Center for advice on how to better care for your body.

It’s understandable if speaking to someone in person is intimidating, but luckily there are helpful online resources available as well. If this seems like a better option for you, try 7 Cups of Tea, a website where you can vent to someone anonymously and confidentially for free. Their listeners are available 24/7, and they even have a helpful information section and chatroom devoted just to anxiety. Perusing YouTube is a great online option as well. A quick search of “anxiety” will yield everything from information about anxiety to real-life advice.

Of course nothing beats the loving arms of your family and friends. Lean on your support system when you’re struggling; that’s what they’re for, and a smiling face and warm hug can make a huge difference. Let those you love and can trust know what you’re going through.  

No matter how you go about dealing with your anxiety disorder, remember that there is always help out there. It’s important to put your mental health first. Taking steps to do so will help you to live the happy life you work for everyday in the classroom, on the set, and in the studio. Congratulations on working towards happiness!

Ashley is a senior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College. She will graduate in December 2016. She loves playing with clothes and make-up, traveling, and drinking way too much coffee. Friends and family, cute animals, (especially her own), and dessert make her happy. 
Emerson contributor