This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

You’ve heard back about your summer internship with good news- congrats! This is going to be a wonderful, educational opportunity and you are so lucky to have received the job. Now, you might be wondering what type of accessories you’ll need for your internship. The key is that classic looks are best for a business environment, but of course you can add some personal flair. Here are some dos, don’ts and tips to help you present yourself well this summer. As always, feel free to adjust the tips in this guide to your personal style!

Jewelry

Do: Keep it simple. Light bracelets and studs are best. Classic pearls always look timeless and professional.

Don’t: Wear heavy or distracting jewelry. Its summer, so the lighter the jewelry, the better.

Shoes

Do: Keep your shoes classy. Basic flats are the best accompaniment to a floral or bright dress. Heels and wedges can work too, but keep them less than three inches tall for comfort.

Don’t: Wear sky-high stilettos. Also, save the flip-flops for the beach.

Bags

Do: Get one in a basic color. If you choose a black or cream-colored bag, it will match any outfit you wear. Medium sized bags are best so you can fit in your essentials and your laptop.

Don’t: Bring a clutch or a huge bag. Those will simply leave you forgetting or misplacing something.

Also, be sure to get a great planner. Whether you download a digital calendar app for your phone or tablet, or you buy a sturdy paper planner, it’s going to be a lifesaver during your internship.

Try the Sunrise app- free for iPhones, or the Life Planner from Erin Condren. They come in the cutest designs. Plus, you can personalize them!

Alexandra is a senior at Emerson College studying writing, literature, and publishing.
Emerson contributor