This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We’ve all been through tough breakups, even Taylor Swift. The pop-princess’ portfolio makes the perfect breakup soundtrack, giving you a song for each stage of grief, rage, and acceptance.

The Lead Up and the Fallout

Story of Us

“Oh, I’m scared to see the ending. Why are we pretending this is nothing? I’d tell you I miss you but I don’t know how, I’ve never heard silence quite this loud.”                                                                                                    

The precursor to the breakup; you can feel something in the relationship taking a turn for the worse but are clinging onto the hope it will get better.

Haunted

“Oh, I’m holding my breath, won’t see you again. Something keeps me holding on to nothing.”                                                                                                                                                                                                           

The moment of the breakup and the crushing realization that comes with it. You don’t want to let go and you’re hoping its just all a big mistake.

Last Kiss

“So I’ll go sit on the floor wearing your clothes. All that I know is I don’t know how to be something you miss. Never thought we’d have a last kiss, never imagined we’d end like this.”                                                                  

The time after where all you can do is sit in pjs covered in ice cream stains and shovel said ice cream down your throat, while watching sad romantic movies: then crying about said sad romantic movies.

The Pissed Off and Bitter Rampage

Forever and Always

“Was I out of line? Did I say something way too honest? Made you run and hide, like a scared little boy? I looked into your eyes. Thought I knew you for a minute, now I’m not so sure.”                                                          

The stage of putting all the blame on him and label him as a jerk, while secretly still being really upset. Let the trash talking to your girlfriends commence.

Picture to Burn

“State the obvious, I didn’t get my perfect fantasy. I realize you love yourself more than you could ever love me. So go and tell your friends that I’m obsessive and crazy,that’s fine I’ll tell mine that you’re gay!”                

Another stop on the “I hate you” express where full fledged anger can lead to crazy behavior. Eventually, the strong front breaks and leads to another montage of sadness and trying to move on instead of putting on a facade.

Still Sad But Getting Stronger

All to Well

“And I know it’s long gone, and that magic’s not here no more. And I might be okay, but I’m not fine at all.”                                                                                                                                                                                

You’re still grieving and in a lot of pain, but it is starting to get easier to function and get on with your life. It’s the realization that while you might be in pain now, you know you wont always be.

I Almost Do

“And I just wanna tell you, it takes everything in me not to call you. And I wish I could run to you. And I hope you know that every time I don’t I almost do.”                                                                                                    

Finally, you find the strength in yourself to not give into wanting and missing him because you know it probably will end with just more heartbreak.

Acceptance and Moving On

We Are Never Getting Back Together

“You go talk to your friends, talk to my friends, talk to me. But we are never ever ever ever getting back together.”                                                                                                                                                                  

Freedom. You finally completely move on and have no problem telling your ex to shove it, cause you’re a strong independent woman who doesn’t need someone who doesn’t treat her right.

Begin Again

“I’ve been spending the last eight months thinking all love ever does is break and burn and end, but on a Wednesday in a cafe I watched it begin again.”                                                                                                              

Yet, it doesn’t hurt to have someone who loves you and does treat you right. You start to find new hope about love in new sparks, realizing that you can fall in love again.

Taylor Swift has given every girl out there the perfect soundtrack to work through their breakup: giving us tear-inducing ballads, screw men anthems, and just songs that really express the true emotion of heartbreak. Expect more relatable singles from Swift on October 27, when her new album 1989 drops.

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor