Review: ‘Stranger Things’

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Everyone I know has been raving about this show Stranger Things. Now whether you have seen it or not, you have probably heard the show buzzing around your ears at least once this week. And I’m here to tell you why it is so awesome.

Trying to explain to someone who hasn’t heard of the show at all before can be a bit challenging. But to break it down for you, it is basically about a small town in Indiana and the citizens that inhabit it. Specifically a boy named Will, his mom Joyce Byers and Will’s three loyal and heroic friends. One night, Will goes missing and his mom goes insane as one’s mother would do. Then the giant search party ensues, and people soon start to realize that this is no ordinary kidnapping.

Winona Ryder makes a comeback in this series and I couldn’t be more excited. She plays a “strange” but loving mother who would do literally anything to see her son again. And yes the rumors are true, she communicates with her son Will through Christmas lights… it’s pretty freaky.

Milly Bobby Brown, who plays a badass little girl called Eleven with an extreme Eggo obsession, is adorable on and off camera.  

With her buzzed hair and her pink dress, she is the center of the whole show. Not to say that the boys aren’t wildly hilarious and very talented, but Eleven is the one that keeps them in check. She learns the beauty of friendship and defends the boys with all her might. Spoiler alert: You will definitely be sobbing by the end of the season.

Now this is a horror/science fiction TV show. If you would rather watch Keeping Up with The Kardashians than, say, American Horror Story or The Walking Dead, I suggest you not watch this show. It’s creepy and it’s weird. But somehow no one can resist but to keep watching. If you like scary monsters in different dimensions, telekinesis and even a little bit of romance, this is the show for you.

Explore the depths of Stranger Things and always remember: “Friends don’t lie.”

Freshman at Emerson College with a Writing, Literature and Publishing Major.
Jamie is a senior Writing, Literature and Publishing major at Emerson College in Boston, MA. She is the Her Campus Life Editor, a National Contributing Writer, and Campus Correspondent of the Emerson Her Campus chapter. Jamie plans to pursue a career in the magazine industry. See more of her work at: www.jamiemkravitz.com