Meet Dottie Tomasini

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

To continue my profile series on seniors, much like myself, who are finishing up their last few months of college, here is a quick look at the first friend I made here at Emerson. Dorothy, or Dottie Tomasini is a senior Writing, Literature and Publishing major who enjoys her fair share of dinners in the North End. I should know—we have gone to the same restaraunt every year to celebrate good food, a great city and a long-lasting friendship. Even as friends however, it was interesting to sit down with her and ask a few questions about both the past and future.  

Her Campus at Emerson: What has been your favorite thing about Emerson?

Dottie Tomasini: My favorite thing about Emerson is the friends I’ve made here. Sure, I’ve also received a great education, but I wouldn’t have found the experience as rewarding had I not had warm, loving, open-minded people as my friends.

HCE: What is your favorite memory here at Emerson?

DT: I have way too many memories that I’m fond of to count, but one that always stands out is the day of move out freshman year when one of my friends and I had stayed up all night packing and got the idea to walk from the Little Building to the harbor to see the sunrise. It was after a pretty bad winter and it had just started getting really warm and the earth was finally coming alive again. As we got to the harbor, just in time for sunrise, we noticed a tiny boat anchored at the dock named “Hope.” A man at the dock told us how he had just helped deliver a baby on the side of the road. We had been worried about leaving after freshman year but we took these as signs that everything would be okay.

HCE: What do you do in Boston around the holidays?

DT: I don’t habituatlly do anything very holliday related in Boston since I’m usually back home in New York by mid-December, but I have gone ice skating at the Frog Pond in the Common a few times, which is always lovely. I’m not a great skater, but there’s something special about skating there at night with the Christmas lights in the trees.

HCE: What would you tell a perspective student is the most important thing to know about Emerson?

DT: I would say that as someone who applied to 14 different schools, Emerson really stood out to me because it felt right. If you visit Emerson and feel that click, then come here. If you don’t, which not everyone does, weigh your options. This school has a lot to offer, but it’s not for everyone.

HCE: What are your plans for after graduation?

DT: After graduation I’m probably going to try to get a job back in New York. I love Boston but New York is my home. As for grad school, I’m still undecided with a career I might want to have, so I figure if I get a job I like, but need higher education to move up, I’ll pursue it then.

HCE: Are you going to cry at graduation?

DT: Of course I’m going to cry. I’ll be an absolute mess. But it probably won’t hit me until it’s all over.

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor