This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

A male birth control exists in the form of a shot–well it did momentarily, at least.  According to the Endocrine Society’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, a birth control shot has been created to prevent men from impregnating women during sex.

In a study done involving 274 male participants, only 4 pregnancies occurred. The shot is 96 percent effective, which is almost as effective as the most effective female forms of birth control. These include the intrauterine device and the hormonal pill, which prevent pregnancy 99 percent of the time.

Too bad the shot causes acne.

The study done by the, ES’s Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism stopped enrolling participants into the study in 2011 due to the “adverse” side effects the men were experiencing, such as acne, increased libido, and mood swings.

While there are only three forms of birth control available to sexually active men today, and no one should ever have to be belittled for expressing discomfort with any of them, it is important to remember that these “adverse” side effects the male participants were feeling are side effects that large amounts of women on birth control are subjected to everyday.  

Common side effects females experience include acne, lower libido, vaginal dryness, and increased risk of cancer, blood clots and strokes.  However, according to the Gutmatcher Institute, “More than 99% of women aged 15–44 who have ever had sexual intercourse have used at least one contraceptive method.”

It’s time to start talking about how both male and female parties feel about birth control.

Julia is junior attending Emerson College for her bachelor of arts degree in journalism. She is originally from a small town in New Hampshire. She enjoys writing about people and feels that everyone has a story to share with the world even if they don't know it yet. 
Emerson contributor