‘Know Tomorrow’ Event in Boston is a Success

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Know Tomorrow, a student-run event and organization, made its debut in Boston last weekend. Led by Know Tomorrow Boston co-director and Tufts University student Shana Gallagher, the event featured free food and music while focusing on climate change and the effects of air pollution. Students from colleges all over Boston united to bring attention to the main issues that are proven to be detrimental to our earth.

Climate change is no joke. Recently, a study by NASA was conducted to reveal facts about air pollution, and what they found was shocking. Nine of the ten warmest years on Earth have occurred since 2000. Not to mention Carbon Dioxide levels in the air are the highest they’ve ever been. These issues, though not created by us, must be faced by our generation. Know Tomorrow focuses on empowering citizens of the planet to help contribute towards the correction of these issues.

The attendees enjoyed performances from bands such as Speedy Ortiz, Outasight, Will Dailey, Kate Diaz, Natalie Joly and Starcatcher, accompanied by free food from sponsors like Ben and Jerry’s, KIND, Vita Coco and Naked Juice. As if these offers weren’t enough, a free yoga session was held at the Boston Marriott Copley Place Grand Ballroom. There were booths presented by businesses and corporations such as Biodiversity for a Livable Climate, The New England Farmers Union, SaveOhno, Yeloha, and Initiative: Eau. The guest speaker of the evening was our very own Massachusetts State Senator, Ed Markey. He delivered an effective speech, relaying his concerns on the issues being raised at the event.

In his speech, Senator Markey covered a lot of different points, specifically focusing on the impact that we, as residents of Boston, can have in climate control issues. Senator Markey stated, “This generation, the green generation, is going to make it possible that one can say the children have to look to the history books to find if there ever was an era where fossil fuels were the way in which we generated energy on our planet.” Many were moved by his attributes to Boston as “the revolutionary city.” If Boston can be the hometown of so many influential and historical events, Markey argued, then it can be the birthplace of the air conservation movement. “The evidence is clear, the danger is real, and we need to make sure that we take action,” he said. “This is the time, this is the place, you are the people.”

With such a powerful group of people, the restoration of the earth and the issues of climate change can essentially be enforced. You can join this group by visiting Know Tomorrow’s website. Let’s make a change, the fun way. We know that climate change is an issue, and we know that we can’t change the past, but wouldn’t it be nice to know tomorrow?

I'm Mel, a hockey playing, musical performing, cat lover from Connecticut. An aspiring broadcast journalist, I hope to post content that captures the essence of emerson, while also encouraging others to make differences within their community.
Emerson contributor