bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
bruce mars ZXq7xoo98b0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

It’s Time to Treat Your Skin with these Great Homemade Face Masks

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

All Photos Taken By Sasha Padilla

It’s hard to believe that there is a person out there that’s blessed with perfect skin. Middle school was the prime time where I started having major problems with my skin, as I’m sure many of you can relate. I’ve tried top of the line products that have helped, but they never completely diminish all the problems I’ve had with my skin. Recently, however, I’ve tried some new products and experimented with homemade face masks that have helped my skin immensely.

I was shocked that switching to the Neutrogena Oil-Free Acne Wash helped tone down my inflammation on my main problem areas and killed a lot of those pesky pimples that I’ve have. For the past years, I’ve been using expensive products that just weren’t doing the job for me and finally giving this brand a chance has been doing magical things within a span of a few weeks.

I do admit, I’ve started experiencing dryness that I haven’t had a problem with before, but that’s from the salicylic acid within the product that’s killing the pimples. This now means I have to really start focusing on moisturizing, which is new for a person with very oily skin.

Not only have I been using this new face wash, I’ve been having fun trying out recipes for homemade masks I’ve found actually work. These masks are very simple, easy to put together, fun to put on your face, and likely to already be in your kitchen, so you don’t have to go out of your way to buy them! You can even make a little extra of the formula and invite some friends over, put on a movie, get some food, and have fun taking care of your skin with a little facial party.

LEMON & HONEY MASK

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp Lemon

• 2 tsp Honey

Directions:

1. Squeeze 1 tsp lemon and pour 2 tsp honey in one bowl & mix together

2. Apply on face (Keep away from eyes) leave on for 10-15 minutes

3. Rinse with lukewarm water and pat dry

HONEY & CINNAMON MASK

Ingredients:

• 1/2 tsp Cinnamon

• 1 tsp Honey

Directions:

1. Mix cinnamon and honey in a small bowl

2. Apply on problem areas only (Keep away from sensitive areas or it will burn. I’ve learned from experience).

3. Leave on for 10-15 minutes

4. Rinse and pat dry

APPLE CIDER VINEGAR

Ingredients:

• 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar

• 2 tsp Filtered Water

Directions:

1. Mix water and vinegar in bowl

2. Apply with cotton pad or clean fingertips on blemishes

3. Leave on for 15-20 minutes

4. Rinse with lukewarm water, pat dry, and apply moisturizer  

BAKING SODA MASK

Ingredients:

1. 1 tsp Baking Soda

2. 1 tsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

3. 1/2 tsp Honey

Directions:

• Mix all ingredients in one bowl

• Apply/Rub on face and leave on for 10-15 minutes

• Rinse off and pat dry

EGG WHITE MASK

Ingredients:

1. 2-3 Eggs

2. 1 tsp Honey (optional)

Directions:

1. Separate egg whites from yolk and mix the whites in a bowl till their frothy (If you don’t have an electric whisk/mixer it will be an arm workout!)

2. Optional: Add honey into bowl and stir together

3. Apply all over the face avoiding the eye area

4. Leave on for 15-20 minutes

5. Rinse off with lukewarm water, pat dry, and moisturize!

Sasha Padilla - Journalism Major
Emerson contributor