brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
brett jordan fmqhTMu4IVU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

An Instagram Intervention

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Instagram is possibly one of the best apps ever; it really does make life seem so much better. A rainy day stuck inside can be transformed into the seemingly perfect day curled up on the couch with some tea and a book when seen through one of the many filters provided by Instagram. Unfortunately, Instagram, like many other things in life, is abused everyday. Now, I’m not saying I haven’t been known to commit some of the following offenses, but this is all about recognizing there is a problem, acknowledging that you may be part of it and attempting to take a step forward to help clean up Instagram feeds everywhere. Everybody has a small slipup, but just remember: we are all in this together.

The List (in no particular order):

Every meal you eat, everyday

While the occasional picture is totally acceptable, especially when you’ve done all the cooking on your own, I really do not need a daily recap of everything you’ve eaten since your account was created. I’m certain it was delicious and kudos to you for eating healthfully or indulging in something you surely deserve, but it does not have to be recounted for the entire world to know. Also, the fact that you took the time to make sure everything was picture perfect really makes me question your priorities – eat it already!  

Drinks, of all variety, from coffee to alcohol

Going along with the food, I’m glad you stay hydrated or highly caffeinated or enjoy a delicious drink, but the compulsive need to document all your beverages is not necessary. There are few Instagram users, if any, that do not know what a Starbucks coffee looks like; many are probably sipping one as they scroll through their feeds. Some latte art is definitely worth sharing, I mean, some baristas can create portraits in that delicious latte foam, but if it is just a coffee lid, think again before snapping the picture.

Weather events

Chances are many of your followers are in the same vicinity as you, so when there is a rainbow or 10 feet of snow outside, they see it too and do not need to see it on their phone when windows give them the same view. The novelty is lost on them. Now, a vacation is different; go ahead and show off all the amazing views and weather you’re experiencing, make anyone who views the photo instantly jealous.

Nights Out

Socializing and enjoying yourself is vital in college. Everybody needs to forget about the stresses of school, internships or jobs and they should do whatever helps them relax, but waking up on a Saturday morning to a feed full of fuzzy and/or out of focus photos on your feed is just overkill. When not even Instagram can save your photo, it may be better to keep it in your personal photo library.

Incessant Hashtagging

Hashtags can be great; you can search with them, trend topics and be clever. But sometimes, they can grow into a life of their own and often very few even make sense with the photo. Instead, let your photos speak for themselves. Two, three, maybe four hashtags is all you really need.

Outfit of the Day (#ootd)

Sweater weather is great and breaking out your newest purchases is one of the most satisfying feelings ever, but there is no reason to broadcast these every day. One of the more overused hashtags, outfit of the day, is really just a thinly veiled excuse to take a selfie. 

Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop