How to Survive Class with a Cold

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We all get them. No matter if we are the first or last, we all get colds. It’s probably the worst thing that can happen to you in college beside running out of dining hall swipes or getting hit by a bus. It’s ok though because you have a few excused absences left. SIKE! What should you do to prepare for a week of classes and sore throats? 

1.     Get some rest 

Rest is the BEST medicine. Sleep as much as you can and your body will have time to get better on its own. Don’t sleep in the common room though. Avoid getting your germs on other people and just sleep in your nice comfortable bed that has little to no distractions. Instead of watching Netflix or catching up on Instagram give your body what it needs; a few ZZZs. 

2.     If you feel OK to eat, EAT 

If you have tonsillitis and can’t swallow anything, I feel your pain. If you have the body aches and just don’t feel like getting up to eat soup there is no excuse. Whether its as little as crackers your body needs substance to fight whatever is making you feel like crap. This is a great to time to take advantage of your roommates. Ask them to run to the dining hall or to Panera for food. Most likely they will get it for you. Beware though, you may have to return the favor sooner rather than later if you don’t contain your germs.  

3.     Orange juice all day

It’s not a myth. Orange juice can definitely help when you have a cold. The vitamin C does wonders to your sinuses and may shorten the life span of your cold. We all don’t love orange juice, but I think we can all agree that we love being healthy. 

4.     Cough medicine is worth the money

Yes, as college students we are poor. That doesn’t mean we should compromise with something as important as our health. When you are sick you need medicine. Send your friend to CVS and see if they can get you cough medicine or a decongestant. Yes, you don’t want to spend money on medicine, but if you miss too many classes you’ll wish you spent that money so you didn’t have to spend an extra week trying to catch on your classes. 

5.     Go to class even if you THINK you’re getting sick 

A sore throat does not mean you have mono. If you feel under the weather, but can still tell what day it is there is no excuse not to go to class. You may need to use those excused absences later on in the semester. I know it sucks but it all comes down to money. Think about how much you paid for that class. 

You decided to go to class. Now what? Your nose is dripping and you’re trapped for an hour in this hot, now cold, now hot room. It doesn’t have to be terrible though. Here’s some tips to survive those classes that make you despise those no longer existent absences you had this semester that could have saved you. 

6.     Always have water 

When you’re in class you don’t want to cough. When you feel that tickle you hold your breath, swallow, try to clear, whatever you can to make sure it never happens. Sometimes that just isn’t enough though. Water is a great way to suppress a cough if you feel one coming on. It’s a casual fix that draws little attention and drinking as many fluids is possible is great when you’re sick. 

7.     Never leave your room without tissues 

In college, no teachers will have a box of tissues sitting on their desk at the front of class. Come on! We’re adults now. As adults you should always be prepared with tissues if you are sick. If you forgot just go to the bathroom and get toilet paper. Yes, the sleeve method is much quicker, but its also disgusting. Just bring tissues and enter adulthood already!

8.     Pop the pills (Cough Drops)

Don’t be a snob and say you don’t need cough drops. Everyone needs them if they have a cold. When you’re in class its something to suppress the cough and suck on. Make sure you don’t have too many though, they may taste like candy, but it’s still medicine, and medicine has dosages. 

9.     Layer comfortable clothes 

I don’t know about everyone else, but when I’m sick I get cold, then hot, then cold again. As a result I make sure I wear comfortable clothes to class that allow me to strip away a few layers or bundle up when needed. The best combination is a comfy t shirt and a sweatshirt. If anyone gives you crap for your appearence just sneeze on them and wait a week or two to see their mood change. Then laugh in their face. 

10.     Sit by the door in class 

You don’t want to disturb your classmates when you are sick. More importantly, you don’t want to draw more attention to yourself. If you can, try to sit by the door in class. If you feel like you can’t stop talking it is easier to slip out of the class that way, instead of trying to walk around, over, and under everyone and everything. 

IF YOU FEEL SICK EMAIL YOUR TEACHER AND TELL HER YOU ARE DYING INSIDE AND IF YOU LEAVE BED YOU VERY WELL COULD POP A LUNG IF YOU COUGH ONE MORE TIME. 

If you can’t get out of bed. If you can’t function. If you just can’t, then don’t get out of bed. You’ll get better faster if you stay in bed and sleep it off. Make sure you email your teacher if you decide to do that. (no matter how late) And remember, no matter how awful you feel, you are not dying. 

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor