How To: Pull Off Colored Jeans for Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s time to put away your classic dark-wash skinnies. Bright denim jeans in citron, pastel peach, cool mint, and neon pink are the hot ticket item to own this spring. With a statement as bold as colored jeans, it’s important to know the dos and don’ts of styling them. Here are a few tips to keep in mind when wearing your favorite spring denim.

Images via Pinterest

Keep it simple

If you’re a color newbie, keep it simple with this trend and stick to neutral tops. This is the safest way to avoid a fashion disaster. A silky cream feminine blouse is fresh and classic paired with pastel shades. For a more casual look, pair your colored denim with a rough chambray button down or v-neck tee.

Images via Polyvore

Accessorize

When accessorizing your colored jeans, make sure you don’t go too over the top. For shoes, metallic flats or sandals are cool and unexpected. Leopard print loafers and suede ankle booties also work. As for jewelry, don’t be afraid! Try an oversized watch with a few friendship bracelets or fun bangles.

Colorblock

If you’re a little more fearless, colorblock! Use the color wheel as your guide. Pick your outfit around neighboring or complementary colors on the color wheel. Buttercup yellow and lavender, and mint and blush pink are great combos. You can also work colorblocking into your ensemble by keeping your top neutral and colorblocking your denim and shoes.

Images via Madewell, Pinterest

Have confidence!

The most important part about wearing bright colored denim for spring is to have confidence! If you feel fantastic in your outfit, it will definitely show, and you’ll look fantastic too.

Erin is now a senior at Emerson College in Boston, MA pursuing a degree in Print & Multimedia journalism. Originally from West Orange, New Jersey, Erin enjoys fashion, baking, hiking, traveling, and sharks. She is currently Co-Campus Correspondent of Emerson's Her Campus branch, and recently worked as an Editorial/Web Production intern and freelancer for Details.com at Conde Nast in New York City. Follow her on Twitter @appenzo.