How to Mentally and Digitally Declutter

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Is your email inbox overflowing? Does it sort of reflect your current state of mind? There are many things digitally we store in our brain’s “I’ll deal with this later” category. There are also many physical things that we think we will get to later but we never do—everything from your desk drawers, to your closet, to even your sock drawer. Cleaning out all of your technological devices and physical surroundings can make your life seem more calm and organized, and it also can help keep your mind at ease. Check out these tips on how to mentally and digitally declutter your life!

Email:

Don’t let your inbox pile up and overflow. Set aside time every week (or even a few minutes every day) to get to those emails. Being prompt with returning emails is very important and professional. Let your email inbox be a representation of your brain— organized, alert and timely. And don’t forget to delete the emails you don’t need anymore; they take up space in your mailbox and in your mind.

Ask Yourself:

Are you the type of person who saves everything and never throws anything out? Do you stick everything in drawers and think you’ll get back to that later? Don’t! If you get a piece of paper you don’t know what to do with at the moment, have a little file to put it in. If you store all your excess papers, such as class notes, handouts, and homework assignments, in folders, you’ll feel more organized than ever. For other things you have been holding on to, and you don’t know why you’ve been holding on to them, ask yourself “Do I really need this? What am I going to do with this?” Don’t hold on to things you don’t need, and create more space for things you do need.

Your Phone:

Cell phones often get filled up with unnecessary pictures, text messages, notes and apps. Look through all your phone’s pictures and see what’s really worth saving. Scroll through your old text messages and delete the conversations that you don’t need anymore. Go through all of your apps and delete the ones you never use. You’ll get more storage on your phone, and it’ll lead to a fresh start.

Organize, Organize, Organize:

Organization seems so simple. If you keep up with being organized, then you won’t feel cluttered and overwhelmed. By organizing and keeping up to date, you won’t lose track of anything. Try keeping a weekly planner—by physically writing down all your appointments, assignments and meetings, you’ll be organized and there’s a better chance you’ll remember because you have written it down by hand.

Decluttering and staying decluttered will make you more peaceful, more productive and happier—all of which are high-priority. By setting aside time every week to organize, you will be more relaxed. So stop saying “I’ll get to this later” and start getting to it now!

Emerson contributor