How to Dress in Style Without Breaking the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Living in the city comes with some great benefits in the fashion department. And for those with unlimited funds, I would recommend that you check out any of those great specialty boutiques on Newbury Street for all your style needs. But for the rest of us who consistently go by the term “broke college student,” we need to be a little more conscious of our spending habits. Here are some great stores that house awesome styles without forcing you to break the bank.

Primark

This newly opened (in the U.S.) Irish chain seems to be the talk of the school. Everywhere you turn, someone else is carrying a Primark bag. The great thing about this particular store is that it seems as though everything is below $20, with the exception of maybe a few items. There is also a huge selection, so be sure to give yourself a lot of time to browse. While the quality is not high-end status, the styles are definitely up-to-date and trendy, so be sure to give the mammoth of a store a shot. Plus, it’s right near school, so it’s easy to stop in during your free time. 

Nordstrom Rack

Nordstrom Rack is a great spot for those of you looking for designer brands at discount prices. While the items aren’t necessarily considered “cheap,” they are highly discounted. You can find extensive amounts of high-end brands for half the cost, if not less. Not only is there a seemingly endless supply of clothing, but you can find discounted accessories as well. With bags, shoes, and clothing, a whole outfit can be made in this one-stop-shop.

Lipstick

While most of the Newbury Street boutiques are unfeasible for the typical college student, Lipstick is different. This smaller sized boutique is jam-packed with dresses and other articles of clothing, all for relatively reasonable prices. So, if you are looking for some specialty clothing, Lipstick is the place to go.

Dew Luxe

This Best of Boston winner is located in South Boston and sells luxury designers for discounted prices. While the prices of these items are not really cheap, you can get some very high end items for a lot cheaper than usual (i.e. a Burberry coat for $400). This is the perfect store for the fashionista with a limited budget.

Marshalls & T.J. Maxx

While T.J. Maxx and Marshalls are well known and relatively common, it would be silly to leave them out. Both stores carry quality, sometimes high-end designers, for extremely low prices. Each store is different, and some are better than others, but if you find a really good store somewhere, you can find some amazing pieces for very cheap.

Happy shopping, collegiettes!

Emerson contributor