absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
absolutvision Z20wtGu1OH4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

How To Conserve Board Bucks and Meal Swipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

We all love it, but we all can’t seem to afford it. Food! Now that the school year is coming to a close, it isn’t hard to believe that our meal plans, as well as our bank accounts are hitting rock bottom. Don’t worry, though. If there’s a will, there’s a way. Here are a few tips to help you ration your food until finals are over. 

1. Load up on breakfast 

There’s a reason why they call breakfast the most important meal of the day. If you have a full and hearty breakfast in the morning you won’t get cravings throughout the day for that donut or bag of chips. It’s not bad to have cravings, but you don’t really have the money for it. So eat a large stack of pancakes and a 3 egg omelet. You’ll need it to take on the day. 

2. Make the most of your meal swipes 

Meal swipes are low this time of year. So when you do swipe into the dining hall, don’t get a sandwich and a salad. Make sure you make the most of each swipe by taking some extra fruit, yogurt, or cereal. Every swipe counts ladies!

3. Leftovers are your friend 

If you do decide to splurge and get food off campus, make sure you wrap everything up that you don’t eat. You may not love eating leftovers, but they are your friend when your budget is a little tight. And be careful to protect those leftovers if they are really good, or you’ll end up like Ross, angry and hungry. 

4. Effective grocery store stops can go a long way 

Grocery shopping may hurt your bank, but effective shopping can actually go a long way. Get things that are versatile, like milk, bread, and cheese. Getting that exotic mango for a single fruit smoothie is not an effective way to shop, even if mango smoothies are delicious. 

5. No frivolous spending 

Don’t spend money at food stands while you’re taking long walks this month. You’re most likely buying it because you’re in that mood, and not actually hungry. Avoid frivolous spending like this. Your wallet will thank you for it. 

6. Don’t waste money on drinks 

We all love our iced coffee, but when it comes down to it, we spend way too much money on fancy drinks. If you need your coffee in the morning, all power to you, but you don’t need it all day. May I remind everyone that there is one free drink out there that is great for your body and wallet. It’s called water. Drink some!

7. Eat food samples at grocery stores 

This may not be a thing in your grocery store, but there are plenty of opportunities to get free samples of food. Maybe a festival or event, or even a grand opening of a store. Seek out free food. It’s always worth it. 

8. Plan out your meals if you can 

This may seem daunting, but planning your meals can be very helpful in knowing where you will stand with meal swipes and money at the end of the week. This can help you figure out if you should take that extra shift at work, or if you can treat yourself to some French toast on Sunday. 

9. Avoid too much snacking 

Snacking is great, but it’s a luxury that broke girls don’t have. Avoid snacking all day and answer a craving when you really need it. This will allow that bag of chips to last way longer than it would. The only exception to this rule is your period. If you have your period, snack away!

10. Don’t panic. EAT!

The most important thing to remember is to not panic. You aren’t going to die of starvation because you only have 5 more meal swipes. Take a deep breath and look at your options. If all else fails you can always mooch off your friends’ meal swipes. 

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor