How to Avoid the Pumpkin Spice Latte this Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Stop right there, you in the Starbucks line. Do not let those wretched words pass through your lips. You know which ones I’m talking about: Pumpkin Spice Latte. These three words have come to define a season. Autumn fans and coffee addicts alike somehow manage to lose their cool over this coffee drink. It’s turned into the Christmas shopping of fall, with its release date being moved up earlier and earlier each year to appease rabid fans. But you deserve better than that. You don’t need to give into the masses. You can find a coffee drink that’s all your own for this season.

Try instead…

A chai latte from Dunkin Donuts

Head over to New England’s favorite coffee shop for an alternative to the PSL. This latte has a spicy scent that will bring up the same images of colorful foliage and flannel as that other drink. Bonus! It’s available in K-Cups and year-round. No more “limited time only” clauses ruining your favorite drink.

A Salted Caramel Macchiato from Starbucks

If you have to go to Starbucks for a seasonal drink, this is a viable alternative. Literally, it’s up there on the board next to Pumpkin Spiced. Sure, it doesn’t have the same pumpkin-y tingle, but it’s a warm, sugary alternative with an unexpected salty touch that will help you break the mold!

Hot chocolate from anywhere

Go against the flow and grab a seasonal drink that isn’t in season. You can get hot chocolate anywhere and all sorts of variety. Grab some white hot chocolate if you’re feeling extra adventurous.

Starbucks’ Butterbeer Frappuccino

What’s that, seasoned Starbucks fans? You haven’t seen nor heard of this drink? That’s because it’s off of Starbucks’ secret menu. Just ask the barista for a Crème Frappuccino base with whole milk, three pumps of caramel syrup, and three pumps of toffee nut syrup with a caramel drizzle. It’ll leave you wondering if you’re heading back to college or Hogwarts.

So, no longer fear the start of warm coffee season, my friends. Don’t fall into the Pumpkin Spice Latte vortex. Now, you can go to Starbucks or wherever you please and get your drink while everyone around you fights over whose Pumpkin Spice the barista is handing out next. Happy sipping, ladies!

Erin is a junior at Emerson College studying journalism, publishing, and writing. She comes from southeastern Massachusetts and enjoys reading magazines, getting hooked on new TV shows, traveling, and spending time with her dog. Erin hopes to pursue a career in magazine writing. You can follow her on Twitter at @erin_kayata.
Emerson contributor