The Holidays Can Be a Lonely Time: The Dos and Don’ts of Tinder

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Winter break is fast approaching, which means you might once again find yourself in your hometown with a lot of free time on your hands. Quickly, you might find yourself bored senseless and looking to meet new people or have any human interaction. Don’t fret! The holidays can be a lonely time for anyone, and thankfully this is the 21st century and we have Tinder. Here are a few basic Dos and Don’ts for anyone who’s new to Tinder!

DO use a flattering photo!

Since potential matches only see your profile for a matter of seconds before choosing which way to swipe, use a good photo of yourself! The best photo should always be first, because they won’t bother looking at the other photos if they don’t like the first one.

DON’T use a photo where you can’t tell who you are.

Don’t use a group photo, because it’s hard to figure out who you really are… plus you don’t need to drag your friends into your dating profile. Also don’t use an extreme close-up of your eyes or a heavily filtered and blurry photo. While it may be artsy, it won’t give them a true representation of what you look like. You want them to get a realistic idea after all!

DO include an interesting tagline about yourself!

Maybe list some of your interests, your school, or a favorite joke. Just enough to give them a snapshot or your personality. Don’t stress too much about being witty, though. Most people don’t read them!

DON’T have your tagline be DTF, HMU, Party Girl, or your Snapchat handle.

While these all might be true, it shouldn’t be the first thing people learn about you! I mean if you are on Tinder they probably already know that you are interested in at least one of these things. Why else would you be on there? Plus do you really want a bunch of random snaps from people you don’t even know yet?

DO swipe right on people you genuinely find attractive or are interested in.

Why would you swipe right on someone you’re not interested in talking to? I mean it might be a nice self-esteem boost, but really you’re just clogging up your own matches and theirs.

DON’T get too attached to one particular match.

While you might be head over heels for Brad, 19 and already planning your first anniversary, he’s probably talking to five other girls at any given time, and could even be hitting it off more with someone else. I mean think about it, aren’t you also messaging multiple people, and maybe weeding through some along the way? Just don’t take it too personally if one of your matches just suddenly stops talking to you, it either means they fell asleep or are pursuing another Tinder collegiette!

DO ask for their number!

If you’re hitting it off with them on the app, why not move to texting? It feels a little more personal and shows you’re interested in them! If you don’t like giving out your cell number to people you don’t know well, consider connecting via Facebook.

DON’T add them on Linkedin.

The golden rule is don’t mix business with pleasure, and this applies to online mingling as well. Don’t overlap your hook-up app with your online business networking!

DO try to get to know them in person.

Regardless of what people say, you can’t really get to know someone via Tinder messaging or text. If you’re interested in someone, plan to meet up in person, and have actual human interaction with them.

DON’T meet them alone at their apartment or dorm for the first time.

Ultimately, no matter how sweet the guy is, he’s still a stranger, therefore you shouldn’t meet him alone in a secluded place. The majority of people are normal and sane, but there’s a chance they’re not exactly who they say they are. Instead, meet for coffee or at a party with friends. Watch any episode of Criminal Minds and you’ll think twice before agreeing to meet them late at night in their apartment.

Follow these tips and you’ll be flooded with matches in no time! And maybe even a few dates or some “hanging out” situations as people are calling it these days. Happy Holidays and more importantly, Happy Swiping!

Caroline is sophomore at Emerson College, studying Media Production. Born and raised in New England she hopes to head out to the west coast after graduation. In her spare time she works on student TV and film productions. One day she hopes to work in the TV industry as a producer or showrunner. Currently her favorite shows are Shameless, Orange is the New Black and Veroncia Mars.
Emerson contributor