Holiday Dorm Decorating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

It’s about that time y’all! ! No matter what holiday you’re celebrating this season, so much of the fun is in decorating the tree, cookies, and your house. It’s always rough to be away from home during the month leading up to the best family time of the year, but have no fear! One of the best ways to combat pre-holiday depression is to decorate your dorm, or apartment. Here are some simple ways to turn your boudoir into a winter wonderland.

The materials you’ll need for most of these decorations are easy to find at CVS. Some of the basics you’ll need are: construction paper, markers, ribbon, garland, floss, candy canes, tape, and some wrapping paper.

Countdown Calendar

You made ‘em when you were little, why not continue the tradition? You can get creative with this one, but the usual practice is to take a piece of construction paper and with a marker, draw a cute little calendar with holiday decorations on it. Tape it to a blank wall in your room, then all you have to do is mark off the days until it’s time to go home for break!

Candy Cane Frames

For this you need to take a printed picture and glue two candy canes to the front of the picture as to make a frame in the shape of a candy cane heart. This is a little old school (elementary to be exact) but it makes a great gift to a best friend.

Candy canes can really be anywhere in eyesight in your bedroom and they act as instant decoration, so go crazy with them!

Snowflakes

Snowflakes can be tricky to make so perhaps you should watch a few YouTube tutorials if this is not something you’re naturally gifted at making, but they sure do look good when they’re done. This requires white construction paper, scissors, floss and tape. Take the paper and cut it into a square (feel free to vary the sizes of the squares) fold it diagonally as many times as you feel appropriate and cut geometric designs to your heart’s content. When you’re done, unfold, take a piece of floss, tape it to your snowflake, and proceed to tape the other side of the floss to your ceiling. This will make you feel like you’re outside in the snow when you’re really inside prepping for finals.

Mistletoe

This is pretty obvious, but find yourself some (real or fake) mistletoe to hang over your doorway.  This simple decoration will scream “Yes, you can kiss me goodnight” to any suitors dropping you off after a date. 

Garland

Garland will instantly remind you of home, and warm your room. Hang it with sturdy tape to the  edge between your ceiling and wall all around your room. Go crazy with this and get the shiny foil kind of different colors. It’s not the kind you would want to keep, and is easy to clean up. Go ahead and line the outside of your door with it too!

Gift Wrapped Door

While we’re on the subject of doors, why not turn your door into a gift wrapped present! Take wrapping paper and tape it on the very top inside part of your door. Let it fall to the bottom of the door and cut it. Repeat the process until the door is covered. Next take some thick red ribbon and tape a line going straight down the middle, and another one perpendicular to it. Tie a big crazy bow and tape it at the meeting of the two lines and  viola, your door is now a present.

Lights!

Multicolor or white lights are perfect for making you feel like you’re back in the suburbs driving around with your parents looking at  your crazy neighbors’ crazy lights. Throw on some Tran Siberian Orchestra and the experience is complete. Place lights wherever you feel your room could use a little sparkle; just make sure you have heavy tape.

Roommate Stockings

Stockings hanging over the fireplace always make me feel warm and loved. If you’re close with your roommates, you can make each other stockings and if you’re feeling adventurous, you can even make a construction paper fireplace on the wall of your common room or hallway! As for the stockings, these can also be made of construction paper. You can also purchase some from Target, and draw your names on them with glitter glue.

Miniature Christmas Tree

If you celebrate Christmas, a mini Christmas tree will really complete the look. Just be sure you have a good place to put it. Make your own ornaments, hang tinsel off of the branches, and candy canes too. Don’t forget  the star on top!

Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop