The five guys you will meet at Emerson

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As Emerson collegiates we encounter many guys everyday. Sometimes it can be challenging to socially navigate yourself through our little corner of Boston. Well, I am here to help! After a long discussion with my best girl friends at Emerson, I have divided the male population into five groups. So sit back, relax, and enjoy this educational experience.

The Gay Guy

Its no secret that Emerson has an above average LGBT population. Personally, I love this about Emerson. Any girl who has never had a gay best friend is doing life wrong. I’m not saying that all gay guys are the same, but in my experience gay best friends are great. These guys are usually acting or theatre majors and can be found rehearsing in Paramount at any hour of the day or night. But this isn’t true for everyone, there is a more subtly gay population also. They’re stylish and are often the trendsetters on campus. These guys can usually be found featured on EC Spotted making us all jealous.

The Frat Bro

Frat bros are easily distinguishable by the fact they always wear greek letters and travel in packs. I’m serious, seeing a frat bro by himself is a rare sight. The pro’s of being friends with a frat guy is that you get invited to their awesome parties. The con’s are that they gossip worse than girls. If you hook up with a frat bro you can pretty much count on the fact that the entire frat will know by the next morning. Be wary with these guys.

The Jock

While these guys were once a rare find at Emerson, due to the recruiting efforts of the basketball and soccer coaches they are now swarming the streets of Boylston. Lucky us! For the most part jocks are attractive. Many are journalism majors who want to go into sports reporting, with a few film majors thrown in there. These guys are less gossipy then frat guys, but they also travel in packs. Jocks have the reputation for being dumb as doorknobs; and while this is true with some the majority are actually smart guys. I mean, they got into Emerson. Tip: jocks usually congregate in the back of the DH by the TV around 7:00pm on weekdays after practice. If you want some eye candy, that’s the place to be!

The Hipster

This is the most infamous type of guy you will find at Emerson. The hipster shops at Urban Outfitters and has perfected the “I’m too cool for this” aura. They usually major in film, music or theatre and can debate psychoanalytical film theory in their sleep. You can find the hipster outside smoking a hand rolled cigarette chatting with his friends about the movie they are filming this weekend. They listen to obscure music no one has ever heard of and shudder at anything “mainstream.” Hipsters can make good boyfriends, as long as you don’t mind him wearing tighter jeans then you.

The Geek

Everyone at Emerson knows at least one “geek.” They are the boys that wear Emerson Channel t-shirts everyday and think that New Balance sneakers are appropriate daily footwear. They are usually shy around girls and prefer to hang out with other geeks, but not in large groups like frat bros or jocks. For the most part these guys are nice, if a little distant. They can be found playing Quidditch or holed up in their rooms playing video games ‘till two in the morning.

Shannon is a journalism major at Emerson College, where she is involved in many different organizations ranging from social media and writing to fashion and styling. Originally from New Hampshire, she loves Boston and one day wants to work for a news station in either Boston or New York City.
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop