Dear Freshmen: Debunking Emerson Myths

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

As anyone who currently attends Emerson–or encountered the Emerson Kid Lion meme–will tell you, there are plenty of stereotypes about life at Emerson College. Although I’ve only been here for two months, I’m going to play Mythbusters a little and tell you what’s fact and what’s fiction.

1. Everyone is a hipster
While a walk down Boylston between classes might make you think otherwise, this one is actually false. Yes, a lot of students can pass for off-duty Urban Outfitters employees, but we do have our own version of diversity. In fact, word around campus is that most of the class of 2016 is surprisingly bro-y. Consequently, our sports teams are winning more games and there’s bound to be more than one guy–or girl–watching the Patriots game in the common room.

2. There are no parties
This one is a bit difficult, because the Emerson party scene is definitely a little different than the one at your typical giant state school but it’s still false. Our greek life doesn’t have designated houses on campus, so most parties are in off-campus houses a few T stops away. Of course, living in downtown Boston, turning 21 means your nightlife options expand ten-fold.

3. It’s exactly like Fame/Glee/Taking the Stage/etcetera
Creative license and Ryan Murphy aside, this one is pretty much true. Everyone here has a specialty, and whether it’s performing arts, film or journalism, the collective passion, talent, drive and (let’s face it) ego would definitely make for some good prime-time dramedy. The good is that no matter how weird that one kid on your floor is, you know he must be excellent at something or he wouldn’t be here. The bad is that he will also make you very aware of this fact.

4. There are no straight guys
It’s almost guaranteed that you could stop any heterosexual, female Emersonian and they would say this is true, but there are glimmers of hope so this one is false. While they might be few and far between (and there might be more competition), straight Emerson guys are around.