Concerts on a Budget: Boston’s Best Music Venues

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

With concert tickets to see acts like Rihanna at the Garden going for $100+, it’s hard to find cheap entertainment around Boston.  Here are some cheaper picks for great shows this semester.

The Sinclair

Right off of Harvard Square, this smaller venue has a very underground feel with lots of indie rock and upcoming artists. The Sinclair often hosts sponsored festivals, like last April’s Converse Rubber Tracks week, which brings bigger names like Chance the Rapper and Passion Pit to the 500-person venue.

Royale

For bigger names and a club atmosphere, Royale on Tremont Street is the place to go. Events can get a bit pricier due to the size of the venue, but a show at Royale feels more like a party than a traditional concert, which is sometimes worth the extra cash. 

Brighton Music Hall

On Brighton Avenue in Allston, this is very much a college student’s concert venue. At Brighton Music Hall you get expansive standing room, big crowds and everything from heavy rock to Vanessa Carlton. The variety of acts here means that tickets tend to range from around $12 to $30.

Paradise Rock Club

As a 900-person venue near BU, there are really no bad spots on both the balcony and the floor. The stage is so low, in fact, it can sometimes feel like you’re standing next to the band. This is a huge benefit when bigger acts—like Jess Glynne, for instance—come through, which can be pretty often. 

Emerson contributor