Campus Celebrity Katie Mollica

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Katie Mollica may be a transfer student, but she has still managed to immerse herself in everything that Emerson has to offer. Katie joins me in my Emerson dorm on a rainy fall night, carrying tons of bags with goodies from her trip to Salem earlier that day. 

Name: Katie Mollica

Age: 21

Hometown: La Crescenta, CA

Year: Junior

Major: Writing for TV

What are you involved in on campus?

When I transferred to Emerson, I knew I wanted to be involved with clubs and organizations on campus. I took the opportunities that came my way and I ran with them. I’m currently working on a few shows on EIV and The Emerson Channel, in which I hold positions as a writer and segment producer. I’m also an active member of my sorority, Sigma Pi Theta, and represent our sisterhood as our alumni chair and a new member educator. Right now, my current passion project is organizing a Greek wide walk to fundraise money for ALS research.

Wow, you must be busy! What made you want to come to Emerson?

I always knew that I wanted to go to Emerson! It’s the only school I applied to.  I was so drawn to the fact that they had a Writing for Film and Television major. I knew that I liked writing, and I knew that I liked television, so it was perfect. I also was really excited by all the clubs that Emerson has to offer. And it didn’t hurt that Emerson is in Boston. I’m from Los Angeles and had never been to the east coast so I wanted to see this side of the country.

That’s so crazy! You truly ended at up at your dream school. Since you’re involved in so many things on campus, it must be hard to find time for yourself. What do you do to relieve the stress that must come with your busy lifestyle?

Good food, good friends, good television, good music, and sleep. It varies. I love winding down with a TV show while eating a bowl of Top Ramen, and then proceeding to sleep for ten hours that night. I can also relieve stress by hanging out with my friends and sorority sisters. It just depends on what I need at the end of the day.

Who, or what, inspires you?

My grandparents, who are sadly no longer alive. My nonno and nonna were the most incredible, cultured, beautiful, and loving people I have ever met. In their lifetime, they lived on three different continents and spoke three different languages. They are true examples of hard work and dedication, and were proof that true love exists. 

Can you talk a little more about the ALS walk you’re organizing? What made you want to do that?

In 1997 my nonna passed away from ALS. It was nice that people were paying attention to Lou Gehrig’s disease for the first time this summer during the Ice Bucket Challenge, but I wanted to help the cause and help raise even more money. I am really passionate about doing whatever I can to help find a cure. I also wanted to bring together all the Greek organizations at Emerson to do a philanthropy event together.

That’s great that you’re so passionate! So, what do you want to do when you graduate? Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

When I graduate I plan on moving back to Los Angeles to (hopefully) land a job in the television industry, preferably as a writer. I want to write something that will really make people laugh. In ten years, maybe I can start my own series. Who knows!

What are some TV shows that you would want to emulate?

I think women in comedy were underrepresented for so long, so I am thrilled to see how far women have come with television comedy. Those are the kind of shows that I would like to emulate. Some examples: Orange is the New Black, 30 Rock, Parks and Recreation, Girls, and Broad City to name a few.

What’s the greatest piece of advice you’ve ever received?

People will always admire a good attitude.

Currently a sophomore film production student at Emerson College!
Emerson contributor