Campus Celebrity Gina Brazāo

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Watch out, Miss America! There’s a new winner in town. Emerson College freshman Gina Brazāo is more than just your average beauty queen. She’s making a name for herself and advocating for a good cause. I talked to Gina about her pageant career, college, campaign for equality, and goal of being Miss America.

Name: Gina Brazāo

Year of Graduation: 2018

Hometown: Scituate, MA

Major: Journalism

Three words to describe yourself: Driven, outgoing and ambitious.

At what age did you start doing pageants?

I competed in my first pageant in 2011 when I was 15 years old. I then did not compete again until my senior year, when I began to become involved with the Miss America Organization.

What made you want to go into pageants?

What first drew me to pageantry was the camaraderie and message that Miss America stands for. My pageant sisters and competitors are educated, empowered young women and some of the most inspirational people I have the pleasure of sharing the stage with. I was drawn to the simple fact that this is an organization which strives to build young women up, teaching us to encourage and empower one another. It is a great feeling knowing that all of the women involved in this organization are truly passionate about a cause and are willing to volunteer their time and efforts in order to make a difference.

What title do you currently hold?

I currently hold the title of Miss Middlesex County 2015.

What is one misconception about the pageant world that you can debunk for the Her Campus readers?

I often find that a lot of people have misconceptions about pageantry and believe it is all about the glitz and glamour. Miss America is one of the largest scholarship organizations in the world, at its core it believes in educating and empowering young women. Not only do I have the chance to work with Miss America’s national platform Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, but I also have the opportunity to choose a platform of my own which is HeForShe: Promoting Gender Equality.

What is your favorite portion of the competition?

My favorite portion of the competition is the interview with the judges. Aside from the onstage portion of the competition we have ten minute interviews with judges focusing on topics ranging from our resumes to current events. I enjoy this portion the most, because I feel as though it gives the judges an opportunity to get to the contestants on a one on one basis.

Are there any charities that you advocate for currently?

Currently my platform is HeForShe: Promoting Gender Equality. This organization is all about empowering young women and men to be advocates for change concerning the issue of gender inequality. I am in the process of beginning a chapter here at Emerson College and am very excited to see how we will be able to ignite social change here on campus.

What is the most rewarding thing about being a part of the Miss America Organization/pageants in general?

The Miss America Organization has been one of the most positive influences in my life because it has allowed me to focus my efforts on the importance of education, leading a healthy lifestyle and learning from my experiences with several charities. Service is one of the most rewarding aspects of the Miss America Organization. I have had the opportunity to work with young children at hospitals through Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals, volunteer at charity events and encourage young women and men to advocate for their individual beliefs.

Are there any pageants coming up that you are competing in?

My next competition will be Miss Massachusetts, which will be held this June as an official preliminary to the Miss America competition.

Any hopes to be Miss America one day?

Of course that is the ultimate hope, and would be amazing. For now though I am focusing on my involvement with the Miss America Organization not only working to promote my personal platform of gender equality, but furthermore being an active role model in society advocating for scholarship, success, style and service.

If you have any interest in donating to Children’s Miracle Network Hospitals or any further questions, find out more here.

Emerson contributor