Campus Celebrity: Gabriela Kula

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

She sports a list of extra-curriculars a mile long and makes friends everywhere she goes. I sat down with Gabriela Kula to find out how she does it all.

Name: Gabriela Kula

YOG: 2017

Major: Journalism

Hogwarts House: Ravenclaw

Her Campus: What organizations are you involved with?

Gabriela Kula: I’m Senator of the Class of 2017, an Assistant Captain for the Emerson Lions Spirit Squad Cheerleaders, I am on the committee for the Spirit of Emerson, I am a reporter/anchor for WEBN, I do graphics and writing for WEBN Sports, and I work at Nordstrom Rack.

HC: You did cheerleading and journalism work in high school, but did you ever think you would be involved in things like SGA at Emerson?

GK: Not necessarily, no. It was something that always appealed to me but I didn’t actually think about joining until the org fair freshman year. I decided to start with a small role in SGA in case I didn’t like it but I ended up falling in love with the idea of making a difference so I just got more and more involved. 

HC: How do you balance a social life with academics and extra-curricular activities?

GK: It’s definitely a balancing act. One thing I’ve started doing this year is religiously using a day planner. And now, I literally color code my entire life. It’s so helpful though because now I can see and plan my free time to go out and just make sure I’m on top of everything.

HC: What tactics do you use to relax when you get stressed out?

GK: In all honesty, I call my dad. He’s like my go to guy with everything really. Just having someone to talk everything out with and tell you they’re proud of you and you’re doing a great job when you’re not thinking that highly of yourself is so necessary. 

HC: What’s the best part of your week?

GK: There’s a couple of days of the week where I go with no break or rest from work, to class, to orgs from like 8 am to 10 pm but when I finally get home that night I get to look back on the day and all that I accomplished and it’s a really great feeling. It’s what makes all the stress and chaos worth it. 

HC: What aspects of your Emerson life did you predict? What has surprised you most?

GK: I think I assumed I’d take part in a lot of organizations, and I’d hoped that I’d make great friends. What surprised me the most though was that I didn’t really expect to change and grow as a person as [much as] I have. It’s funny cause I’ll look back at my TimeHop and I was at a totally different point in my life this time last year. And I can’t wait to look back in a year again and say the same about right now. 

I'm a journalism major at Emerson College. Passions include Vermont, running, and DIY projects.
Emerson contributor