Campus Celeb: Derbyn and the Drakefish

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Group: Derbyn and the Drakefish

Members:

Maggie Noren, sophomore, Writing for Film & TV

Pablo Escobosa, sophomore, Writing for Film & TV

Dan Goldberg, sophomore, Writing for Film & TV

Xavier Rogers, sophomore, Production

Ryan Deysher, sophomore, WLP 

Caroline Giercyk, sophomore, Writing for Film & TV

Nick Hanley, junior, Writing for Film & TV

Christina Catucci, junior, Writing for Film & TV

Ben Levin, freshman, Film

Dante Pena, freshman, Writing for Film & TV

Steve Meyer, sophomore, Writing for Film & TV

Why did you start Derbyn?

We started it because we love comedy and we wanted a platform to be able to create it with our friends.

What do you usually do at your meetings?

It depends on which day it is—we meet twice a week. One of the days is a writing day, and the other is more of an organizational day. And that totally changes if we’re prepping for a live show. Most of our filming takes place outside of our meetings. Oh and also a lot of joking around ’cause we’re all good friends.

What can we expect from you guys this year?

A bunch of good stuff.  We want to continue to put out consistent video content, with another show or two planned. I think part of the beauty of Derbyn is that we’re not yet completely defined in terms of what kind of comedy we produce (besides mostly very dark comedy). We have a lot of freedom, which I like.

How do you feel about not being SGA recognized?

Personally, I’m totally fine with it as long as we’re still producing good comedy. That being said, we do want to be recognized, hopefully this year or next year. Obviously there are some great perks to being recognized, but really it’s the comedy that comes first.

If you could trade lives with a celebrity for one day, who would it be and why?

Maggie: I could be righteous and say something like “Bono, so I can give sunglasses to the underprivileged,” but I’ll go with an obvious answer and say Tina Fey, but only because of her excellent cheekbones.

Nick: Benedict Cumberbatch, so I could learn what it feels like to be universally adored.

Dante: Bill Murray and mess with anyone and everyone.

Christina: If I could switch places with a celebrity for a day it would be Prince George, because I would love to get away with pooping on the Queen of England and not go to British jail forever for it. Also having all those Mary Poppins at my beck and call would be pretty sweet. That kid is like a real version of Stewie Griffin, so you know his life has to be totally awesome.

Pablo: Boog Powell (real name: John Wesley). He used to play for the Baltimore Orioles. He’s just a really influential person plus he’s got his own hot dog.

Dan: Rich Cronin (the lead singer of LFO).  I like to think that I’ve already written LFO’s Summer Girls.

Xavier: If I could trade lives with a celebrity for one day, I would definitely choose Will Smith. All I would do is go around everywhere, announcing that I’m Will Smith and drawing a lot of attention to myself. Everyone loves Will Smith, even the nay-sayers who claim that they don’t.

Ryan: Kevin Durant so I could finally make the NBA.

Caroline: I would be Guy Fieri from Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives. He’s brassy, he has killer hair, and he gets to eat whatever without fear of repercussion at all.

Ben: I would be King Tut. Just because that would be so fun.

Steve: I would love to be Stevie Nicks.  I want to know what it feels like to be another Steve.

Sarah Marcantonio is a sophomore Writing, Literature, and Publishing major. Sarah hopes to pursue a career writing in someway-- taking any job she can take. Her ultimate goal is to write for a bridal magazine. Born and raised in New Jersey, Sarah hopes to return to New York after graduation. She likes to write about feminism, Boston, current events at Emerson College, and pop culture. 
Emerson contributor