Campaign 2016 Primary Calendar

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Is it over yet? That seems to be the general consensus these days when it comes to the upcoming presidential election. Even though the election is a mere 8 months away, there is still so much to keep up on. The calendar for this election is an indicator that this election is truly “anyone’s race.” No matter who you support, it is always important to stay updated on important primary elections and caucuses. So here’s a small look at what’s to come and why some of these dates are extremely important.

Tuesday, March 15

IF DONALD TRUMP SWEEPS THESE STATES, HE WILL BE THE REPUBLICAN NOMINEE. THIS ISN’T SUPER TUESDAY, THIS IS THE IDES OF MARCH!!!

**Florida primaries

There should be no need for explanation on why this largely Republican state is incredibly important to watch. Florida is a big win for any candidate, and it will most certainly contribute to the Republican race. 

Illinois primaries

Missouri primaries

**North Carolina primaries

Let’s be honest. This is the biggest one. By this time in election season, North Carolina is not usually a deciding factor. This year has proven to be different, however. It is quite possible that North Carolina could be the biggest state in deciding both the Democrat and Republican nominees. The biggest question in this primary is, “Will North Carolina seal the fate of Rubio and Cruz?”

Northern Marianas (Republican caucuses only)

**Ohio primaries

This is always a battle ground state in November, and there is no reason why it won’t be again in the next few days. 

Friday, March 18

Republican Candidates Event

Donald Trump and Mike Huckabee (others invited) attend Western Conservatives Conference, Scottsdale AZ.

Saturday, March 19

U.S. Virgin Islands (caucuses)

Tuesday, March 22

American Samoa (Republican caucuses only)

**Arizona primaries

By this time, at least one of the nominees may be decided. This always hurts voter morale and motivation to go out and vote. This may be important to remember when looking at the outcome. Primary debates are sometimes an inaccurate indicator of what the presidential election will be in November. 

Idaho (Democratic caucuses only)

Utah (caucuses)

Saturday, March 26

Alaska (Democratic caucuses only)

Hawaii (Democratic caucuses only)

Washington (Democratic caucuses only)

All of these states have completed their primary votes at this point, but that doesn’t mean that they are useless. We are far from halfway in this election year and every caucus is now focused on the prize: the presidency. 

Friday, April 1

North Dakota (Republican caucuses only)

Tuesday, April 5

Wisconsin primaries

Tuesday, April 19

**New York primaries

Everyone assumes Hillary will win New York, but if we have learned anything this election season, it is that nothing is certain. This state will be a good indicator of whether or not there are certainties in this presidential race. 

Tuesday, April 26

**Connecticut primaries

**Delaware primaries

**Maryland primaries

**Pennsylvania primaries

**Rhode Island primaries

These are certainly not big states, but they do hold a large amount of the country’s populace (including New York). These small states pack a huge punch in the election. 

At this point in the race, there is no way of knowing how important these states will be. If states try to stop the Trump train by voting for Rubio, then these states may be incredibly important. Until then, however, these states may be a wash until the real race in November. But they are just as important to voters. Everyone who can vote, should vote. 

Tuesday, May 3

Indiana primaries

Tuesday, May 10

Nebraska (Republican primary only)

West Virginia primaries

Tuesday, May 17

Kentucky (Democratic primary only)

Oregon primaries

Tuesday, May 24

Washington (Republican primary only)

Tuesday, June 7

California primaries

Montana primaries

New Jersey primaries

New Mexico primaries

North Dakota (Democratic caucuses only)

South Dakota primaries

I am a Writing, literature, and Publishing Major. I love Netflix, food, and sleep. College lets me experience all 3 of my favorite things simultaneously.
Emerson contributor