Best Hidden Restaurants Around Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

One of my absolute favorite aspects of Boston is the fact that there seems to be a never-ending supply of restaurants to try. But all you newbies to the city, or even some of the veterans, may not realize that the “top” restaurants, meaning the most well known, are not necessarily the best. That’s right, Mike’s Pastries may not have the best cannoli and New York Pizza is not the place for the perfect slice of pizza. Here are some great restaurants that are slightly off the beaten path. 

Santarpio’s Pizza

111 Chelsea St, Boston, MA

Located right next to Logan Airport, Santarpio’s is the epitome of an Italian pizzeria. Every waiter/waitress seems to house an Italian accent, and the crispy, cheesy, slice of heaven that is each bite of Santarpio’s pizza makes it all worth it. Expect a line when you arrive. While this spot is not known to all, it is a huge favorite of the locals. Don’t worry, thoughthe line moves quickly. 

Bricco Panetteria 

11 Board Alley, Boston, MA

The really cool part about Bricco Panetteria is that it is actually hidden. To reach it, you must first locate the restaurant Bricco on the well-known Hanover Street. Then you go down the tiny little alley way that is located next to the restaurant (sketchy, right?). Once you get to the end of the alley, you will go down these skinny stairs into, essentially, an underground bakery. The smells of freshly baked bread are enough to make anyone’s mouth water. Buy a baguette for $2 and snack on it as you enjoy the rest of the North End, or try any of their other delicious creations. There is no wrong choice here.

Caffe Paradiso 

255 Hanover St, Boston, MA

Also located in the North End, Caffe Paradiso houses what, in my opinion, is the best cannoli in Boston. It’s the perfect place to sit down, talk with friends, and enjoy a cannoli and an espresso. Not only this, but Caffe Paradiso also has some fantastic, homemade gelato. So skip the lines of Mike’s or Modern Pastries and enjoy the experience of an authentic Italian cafe. 

My Thai Vegan Cafe

3 Beach St #2, Boston, MA

Located just around the corner from Emerson, My Thai Vegan Cafe is definitely a hidden gem. The not-so-attractive sign and the sketchy stairs leading up to it are enough to scare anyone away, but don’t be deterred! Once you reach the top, this well-lit, plant-filled restaurant is nothing like your typical Chinatown eatery. And don’t fret, my non-vegan readers, the food is delicious for anyone. There is an amazing selection of noodles, dumplings, and so much more and the imitation meat is actually quite yummy.

Tantric India Bistro

123 Stuart Street, Boston, MA

For the Indian food lovers like myself, or for those who are looking to try, this is the place to go. Also located not far from Emerson, Tantric houses some amazing Indian cuisine. If you are unfamiliar with Indian cuisine, they explain what everything is on their menu. You can also try my go-to meal: paneer makhani, samosas, and naan!

Irashai Sushi and Teriyaki 

8 Kneeland St, Boston, MA

If you are looking for some good, cheap Japanese food, Irashai is the place to go. There is a great selection of sushi but if that’s not your thing then there are plenty of other options as well. A few other options to choose from include soup, dumplings, tempura, different noodle dishes, and an assortment of teriyaki dishes. All in all, there is something to choose from for everyone. This is definitely the place to go for anyone who is looking for taste without breaking the budget. 

Enjoy your meals, collegiettes!

Emerson contributor