yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash
yulia chinato fWTwGRXQzI8 unsplash

9 Pick-Your-Own Apple Orchards Near Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Every fall, we as collegiettes make a list of Instagram worthy fall activities. At the top of the list: apple picking. So, this fall go pick your own produce and snap some insta-worthy shots. Plus, bake a killer apple pie after. All these orchards are within 25 miles of Boston, so they’re both picturesque and convenient for Boston dwellers. 

Belkin Family Lookout Farm

89 Pleasant St, Natick, MA

Price: $9 on weekdays, $15 on weekends; $12 for a 6lb bag, $20 for a 12lb bag, $32 for a 30lb bag

Once you pay, pick out your bag size and take a short ride out to the Belkin orchards. Throughout the season Belkin offers eleven types of apples, two types of pears, peaches, plums and nectarines. Pick away and then head back to the U-Pick Barn, ending your day with a nice cup of cider.

Boston Hill Farm

Route 114, North Andover, MA

Price: $20 for an approximately 10lb bag, $40 for an approximate 20lb bag.

During the months of September and October, head over to Boston Hill Farm to pick your own Macintosh, Cortland, and Macoun apples as well as pumpkins. Take a hayride out to the fields and pick away. When you’re done picking stop by the bakery for cinnamon and apple cider doughnuts or indulge in some ice cream.

Brooksby Farm

54 Felton St, Peabody, MA

Price: $8 for 5lbs, $15 for 10lbs, $25 for 20lbs

September and early October are prime apple picking months at Brooksby Farm where you can pick your own Macintosh and Cortland apples. Picking is only available between 9 a.m. and 4 p.m. and hayrides are included only on weekends.

Carver Hill Orchards

101 Brookside Avenue, Stow, MA

Price: $14 for an approximately 10lb bag, $22 for an approximately 20lb bag.

A variety of apples are available for picking at Carver hill through October. Stop by this family-run farm’s country store after you’re done to buy already picked fruits and vegetables as well as cider, cheese, jams, syrups, and locally grown meats and eggs. Need a snack after all that hard work? Carver Hill offers hot dogs, apple crisp, cider doughnuts, and ice cream. 

Dowse Orchards

98 North Main St, Sherborn, MA

Price: $15 for an approximately 5lb bag

Pick your own apples then feel free to visit Dowse’s farm stand after. Don’t forget to try their fresh cider from the farm’s own cider mill. Come back towards Christmas to cut down your own tree.

Drew Farm Country Store

31 Tadmuck Rd, Westford, MA

Price: $8 for an approximately 5lb bag, $15 for an approximately 10lb bag, $26 for an approximately 20lb bag

On weekends take a tractor-drawn trailer ride to the orchard and pick away. Eat lunch or snack at the picnic tables and get some apple cider doughnuts before they’re gone. You can also pick some pumpkins why you’re out.

Fairmount Fruit Farm

887 Lincoln St, Franklin, MA

Price: $20 for a 10lb bag, $30 for a 20lb bag

Hayrides take pickers out to the orchard on weekends where you can pick a variety of apples. Year round Fairmount also offers fresh free-range eggs, local honey, spreads, jams, jellies and handmade wood burned signs. Plus,  snack on a sweet treat after picking.

Honey Pot Hill Orchard

138 Sudbury Rd, Stow, MA

Price:  $17 for an approximately 10lb bag, $26 for an approximately 20lb bag

Honey Pot Hill offers both pear and apple picking this time of year, and feel free to mix what types of fruit you put into your bag. Honey Pot also offers hedge mazes and hayrides. You can also visit the farm store for more fruits and veggies or some fresh cider and sweets.

Russell Orchards & Winery

148 Argilla Rd, Ipswich, MA

Price: $20 per 10lb bag on weekends, $3 entry fee and bag credit per person and $1.75 per lb.

Not only does Russell Orchards offer apple picking, but on the weekends you can check out the winery and partake in a tasting. The bakery and store also have plenty of local offerings such as cider, a variety of pies, cider doughnuts and some delicious ice cream.

Decide on an orchard and get to picking, because after all, nothing screams fall like apple picking and fresh cider!

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor