8 Delicious Places to Grab Dessert in Boston

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Let’s face it, the only reason we eat dinner is so we can have dessert. There are also those occasions when we like to have dessert before dinner, or, better yet, we’ll eat dessert as our meal. Regardless, collegiettes obviously have strong opinions about chocolate and sugar. We know when you eat dessert, you have to do it right. That’s why living in Boston is so great- there’s no shortage of amazing restaurants and cafes to grab dessert at! It might make picking out a place to eat hard but it also makes it all that more rewarding. Next time you want to go out to eat with your friends, or when you want to impress your family visiting from out of town, take them to one of these amazing dessert hotspots.

Between truffles, fondue, cupcakes and frozen yogurt, you’re sure to find a place that will satisfy everyone’s sweet tooth. Keep reading to learn about eight of the most delicious places to grab dessert in Boston!

Finale

1 Columbus Ave.

A favorite among Bostonians and tourists alike, Finale offers a vast variety of delicious dessert items. Head to Finale after you catch a preformance at the Boston Opera House or an EmStage show. Order the Molten Chocolate baked-to-order chocolate cake ($10.99) or the caramelized Crème Brûlée ($9.99). Finale offers great sharable desserts too, such as the Dessert Sampler ($19.99) which offers sampler-sized portions of their main dishes. With a single taste of one of their amazing desserts you’re sure to give Finale a standing ovation. 

Bova’s Bakery

134 Salem St. 

The North End’s best kept secret is Bova’s. Sometimes overshadowed by Modern or Mike’s, only the most die-hard pastry fans know that Bova’s has some of the best bakery items in Boston. This family-owned and operated shop is a must for confectionery connoisseurs. Grab one of their amazing chocolate chip cannolis, lobster tails or red velevet whoppie pies. Plus Bova’s is open twenty-four hours, so no need to worry about that late-night cannoli craving you get every once and a while. 

Kickass Cupcakes

378 Highland Ave., Somerville

Honesty, the name says it all. Kickass Cupcakes provide some of the best cupcakes in Boston. Their unique flavors they offer are really what win us over. Try the Cookie Dough cupcake, Caramel Mochiatto or Cinnamon Chai Peacon Sticky. Hit them up on Fridays for their flavor-of-the-day, S’mores. Regular cupcakes are available for $3 each while minis are $16.50 per dozen and XL cupcakes are $5 each. They also serve deep fried cupcakes and Boston Cream Cupcakes A-Go-Go ($4), a parfait-like dessert with a cupcake stuffed in a to-go cup! The Kickass Cupcakes foodtruck can often be found catering big, Boston-area events. 

Berry Line

3 Arrow St., Cambridge

Forget the Green, Red, Orange or Blue line, the Berry Line is our new favorite destination. After spending the afternoon in Cambridge, head over to Berry Line for the best froyo in Boston. They won Boston.com’s “Best FroYo” award in 2010, 2011 and 2012. Berry Line offers some-fat yogurt and non-fat yogurt as well dozens of amazing toppings. Frozen yogurt is one of the best guilt-free dessert options. However, while piling your cup high with fruit sounds delicious, so does piling it with hot fudge, chocolate chips and brownie bits! 

Max Brenner

745 Boylston St. 

A must-do for all chocoholics. Max Brenner is the most-holy of all dessert destinations and we’re not exaggerating. Their dessert menu is longer than their dinner menu (which is exactly how every restaurant should operate, right?). Try one of their milkshakes ($7.95), we’d pick the Salted Caramel Milkshake or the Cookieshake. More of a waffle kind of girl? That’s fine! The Munchies Waffles ($13.95) comes with two ice cream scoops of your choice, whipped cream, milk chocolate ganache and Choco-Pops. But if you want the true Max Brenner experience you must try their fondue. The Classic European Fondue for Two ($22.95) comes with bananas, strawberries, chocolate chip cookies, marshmallows, chocolate cake and two chocolate sauces for dipping. Talk about a chocolate rush! 

L.A. Burdick Chocolate

220 Clarendon St. 

You know that little ginger-bread looking building off of Newbury Street? While it may look a little out of place, and like something straight out of Hansel and Gretel, it’s actually one of the best chocolate shops in Boston. L.A. Burdick Chocolate is a gourmet chocolate shop that doubles as a café. Here you can buy chocolate-inspired drinks, pastries and more. You have to head into the shop yourself to see their cute chocolate mice, penguins and other gifts. 

Cafe Vanille

70 Charles St.

Established in 1989 in Duxbury, La Vanille has locations all throughout Massachusetts. After strolling through Beacon Hill, head to La Vanille for authentic French dessert. La Vanille offers a variety of cakes, tarts and cookies. You can order an Apple-Blueberry Streusel Tart with French custard or the Annabella, a pound cake topped with cranberries and meringue. For your chocolate fix opt for Debbie’s Delight, a dark chocolate mousse with hazelnut meringue, and chocolate icing and meringuettes. 

Thinking Cup

165 Tremont St. 

Grab a seat (if you can find one!) at the Thinking Cup and settle in with a nice latte and pastry. The Thinking Cup’s atmosphere is oh-so relaxing and even the slightest bit of hipster-cool. Located in Downtown Boston right next to the Boston Common, the Thinking Cup has a great coffee and pastry menu. Enjoy a morning or mid-day dessert. Order a chocolate croissant ($2.75), French Hot Chocolate ($4.95) or order a plate of assorted macarons. 

Where are your favorite places to have dessert in Boston? Let us know in the comments below or by tweeting us at @HCEmerson!

Cassidy is a Digital Production intern at Her Campus. She's currently a junior studying journalism at Emerson College. Cassidy also is a freelance reporter at the Napa Valley Register and a staff writer at Her Campus Emerson. Previously she blogged for Seventeen Magazine at the London 2012 Olympics, wrote for Huffington Post as a teen blogger and was a Team Advisor at the National Student Leadership Conference on Journalism, Film, & Media Arts at University of California, Berkeley and American University in Washington, D.C.. When she's not uploading content to Her Campus or working on her next article, Cassidy can be found planning her next adventure or perfecting her next Instagram. Follow her on Twitter at @cassidyyjayne and @cassidyjhopkins.