7 Unique Emerson Orgs (That You Should Consider Joining)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

There’s no doubt that Emerson College is a unique school – hey, we own a 14th-century castle in the Netherlands! And not only are its students are innovative and unique, but so are the campus organizations. If you’re looking to get involved at Emerson this semester, here’s a list of seven noteworthy organizations on campus!

1. Chocolate Cake City

“Founded in 2002, Chocolate Cake City is an Emerson-based sketch comedy troupe devoted to having fun, being dope and draining threes,” boasts the organization’s Facebook page. The page also informs visitors that the group’s interests include chocolate cake and family-style dining among humor, intellect and inside jokes. Chocolate Cake City is just one of the many performance organizations at Emerson, among numerous acapella groups, dance companies and other comedy troupes.

While other Emerson comedy troupes, such as Emerson Comedy Workshop and Inside Joke, are sure to draw laughs, Chocolate Cake City takes it a step further. While most other comedy groups on campus typically focus on stand-up and sometimes sketch comedy, Chocolate Cake City takes all sorts of projects into their hands. The org’s blurb on Emerson website claims that Chocolate Cake City serves as “a creative outlet for writers, actors, and film and production students as a means to unite all Emerson College majors to produce a comedy show.” And their goal isn’t just to make us laugh, but to engage in varied and original comedy.

2. Fashion Society

If you’ve yet to hear about Emerson’s Next Top Model, you’re in for a real treat. ENTM is just one of Emerson College Fashion Society’s entertaining and distinctive events that are put on throughout the school year. Having become SGA-recognized in 2007, the Fashion Society “seeks to represent the creative ideals of all aspects of the fashion industry through skills learned at Emerson.”

What makes Fashion Society unique is the pure passion of all students involved. With participants’ creative efforts, class-learned skills and teamwork, the Fashion Society is able to provide an outlet for students who are passionate about the fashion industry and the professional opportunities in this field – and create cool and thought-provoking events on campus.

3. ASLEmerson

Formerly known as Hands On Experience, ASLEmerson is an org that was created to learn about and promote awareness of deafness and sign language as a form of communication. Known as both a multicultural and performance organization, ASLEmerson combines learning and art – a very Emerson outlook.

ASLEmerson promotes the awareness of deafness and the learning of American Sign Language with regular performances and workshops. ASLEmerson’s work incorporates music, poetry, dance and the performing arts with sign language.

4. WERS-FM

Ever seen Pitch Perfect? Rumor has it that the radio station that Barden Bella Beca DJed for was based off Emerson’s top-notch student-run radio station, WERS. WERS-FM is the nation’s highest rated student-run radio station and reaches a potential audience of three million people.

WERS offers an array of musical tastes combined with news and public affairs programming. The award-winning station is professionally managed and offers PSAs, news, announcements of calendar events as well as announcements of interest to the Emerson community specifically. Check it out and listen live online here!

5. Emerson Channel

These aren’t your morning high school announcements; this is the real deal. The Emerson Channel is a leading college TV network that acts as the school’s premier outlet for film and video. Airing shows like Good Morning Emerson, Backyard Boston, College Kitchen among news shows and sports broadcasting, the Emerson Channel has something to satisfy everyone.

The Emerson Channel is completely student-run and staff managed. More than 100 students are involved in the production of the channel, from pre-production to operation, promotion, and programming. Check out the channel on 3 and 56 or online at emersonchannel.org!

6. Emerson Urban Dance Theater

Performance arts, including dance, are a big deal at Emerson. Heck, we even have a dance minor! So needless to say, Emerson Urban Dance Theater is pretty established. Passionate students from all different backgrounds come together to perform using hip-hop, tap, modern, and related dance styles “as dynamic narrative tools.”

EUDT is a student org and independent dance company, founded in 2006 and later recognized by the Emerson SGA in 2011. According to its website, the company produces “new original dance theatre works each
semester and strives to advance hip-hop and rhythm tap both on Emerson’s campus and in the Boston college dance/performing arts community at large.”

7. The EVVY Awards

So by now you’re probably getting a few for how unique some of the organizations at Emerson can be. Even if the concept of an organization seems relatively simple, you can definitely see how Emersonians put their own twist on their work. Same goes for the EVVY Awards, perhaps one of the most impressive organizations run at Emerson.

The EVVY Awards is the largest student-run production multi-camera award show in the nation. And it doesn’t just stop there. The EVVYs has become nationally recognized with a first place award at the National Association of College broadcasters and two national Telly Awards. Not to mention notable judges like Denis Leary, John Cusack, and Matt Laur.

The best part? It’s all about the students. Not only are the EVVY Awards designed to recognize student work, but the entire show is student-run. According to the website, this student org provides an unmatched learning experience for hundreds of Emerson students. Everyone working on the project contributes in their own way and gains some real hands-on experience.

If you were concerned about your org opportunities at Emerson, have no fear! Not only does Emerson have over 80 student organizations on campus, but they’re all noteworthy in their own regard. Each unique Emerson org has something to offer, so make sure you check them out!

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Emerson contributor