This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

1.) Get colorful pens!

Colorful pens are a great way to get organized.  Why? Because color coding things helps you see each class and single it out.  Personally I choose colors that are very different and when I fill out my calendar, I know exactly which class I have assignments for because of the colors that appear on that day.

2.) Invest in a whiteboard calendar!

Again on the idea of color coding, having the markers match the classes that you have to goto, or the activities you need to do, can be a great way to get organized!  (Obviously I’m a big fan of color coding–so do it.  It helps)

3.) Copy your assignments for the entire semester!

Once you get your syllabus, make sure you write down all the assignments you have to complete.  If you write them all down on a calendar, you’ll be able to see when they are due more clearly (especially if you color code them!).

4.) Don’t pretend like one folder is enough.

You’re not fooling anyone.  It is not easy to stay organized when you are putting all your papers in one folder.  Invest in one for every class, or, if you’re really hell bent on the one folder thing, accordion folders are a blessing.  Use them.  You won’t regret it.  

5.) Don’t pretend like one notebook is enough.

Yes, I know you try to cram all of your notes into one single subject notebook.  Like the previous tip on folders, don’t do it! Again if you’re hell bent on the “only carrying one notebook” thing–binders are a great alternative!  As are those hybrid notebook binders.  Get some dividers and be happy with the fact that all of your class notes have their own little happy home.  You’ll thank me later when you are able to find the specific notes from October 3rd for your marketing class when studying for your final.

6.) Invest in a planner!

Last, but certainly not least, the planner.  Planners, whether electronic, or a physical book, work wonders in the world of organization.  Writing down the things you need to do is a great way for remembering that they need to be done!  Also if you need to write in a due date a few weeks in advance, it will allow you to see that due date much sooner than looking at the syllabus and realizing you forgot about the 10 page paper you have due in the morning that you haven’t started yet.

Stay organized, stay neat, and may the study Gods bless you with a great semester.

Talia is the Campus Correspondent for Her Campus at Emerson. Talia is also a Chapter Advisor, Region Leader, and HSA Advisor. She has previously worked as an intern for the national headquarters of Her Campus in the community management department. Talia is a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in a 4+1 combined bachelor's and master's program in publishing. She is an aspiring writer and publisher. Talia is known for living life with her journal, a pen, and three lovely cats.
Emerson contributor