This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Turn heads on the street with your clothes, charm people with your accessories and look cute no matter what the weather is like! Here are five ways that you can up your fashion game so that you can feel and look your best.

1. Mix patterns

This season is all about mixing patterns. Don’t be scared of experimenting, be bold.  The more your outfit stands out, the more heads you’re going to turn. Wear a striped t-shirt with a floral skirt; your scarf can have geometric patterns that accentuate the animal print on your leggings. 

2. Accessorize

Accessories add a whole other dimension to your outfit. Don’t just stop at earrings, wear a ring or two, or some vibrant bracelets. A statement necklace does wonders for your outfit. It can make or break your look. If you’re minimalistic, layer two to three thin necklaces to add to your look. All your accessories don’t have to be the same color and they don’t have to follow the same theme. Just be sure that they compliment each other. 

3. Layer

Layering is the new in thing. Layer your clothes and your accessories. Wear leggings under your ripped jeans for the cold days and see how that works out. Layer your necklaces in varying lengths. Wear a ripped, oversized t-shirt over a tank top for a casual look. Add a blazer to your quirky dress to give it a more formal feel. 

4. Nail art

Nail art is a gift from God. Paint your nails in bright colors or do different patterns. It doesn’t matter if your outfit is all black, flaunt that red nail polish with it. You can experiment all you want when it comes to nail art. You don’t have to match your fingernails to your toes, you don’t have to have all your nails painted the same color. Try different things. Go all out!

5. Color coordination?

Color coordination is a thing of the past. Your shoes don’t have to match the color of your t-shirt, the same way your accessories don’t have to be of the same color. Wear blue earrings and gold bangles. Match unusual colors together. Your outfit can be of one color and your accessories can be various colors, highlighting the outfit. Just make sure it all comes together with a theme and you’re good to go. 

Lastly, no matter what you’re wearing, tell yourself you look great in it. Chances are, you’re killing it right now. 

Emerson contributor