5 Ways to Stay Warm and Winter-Chic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Admittedly, winter is my least favorite season. This is probably, in part, due to the fact that I go to school in New England, and New England weather is nothing short of brutal. When the Christmas lights are retired and the peppermint-flavored coffee drinks are wiped off the menus, snow is reduced to an annoyance.  

Further, it’s hard to find a balance between staying warm and staying chic, when, most of the time, my outfit is hidden under multiple layers. Though I predominantly sacrifice style for comfort and warmth, there are a ton of compromises to be made that get me through the colder months.

1.) Faux Fur Coats

Faux-fur coats make an outfit look luxe without breaking the bank. Since they’re so on trend at the moment, you can find one for super cheap online (P.S. Boohoo and Missguided both have really great student discounts). They’re comfortable and give you just the right amount of warmth to help you combat the cold in style.

2.) Fleece-lined joggers

Hello, athleisure! Not sure if it’s just me, but I live in sweatpants and joggers during finals week. And midterms. And Mondays. Half the time, if I’m going to be completely honest. Athleisure is an ongoing trend this season, (thereby validating my excessive use of sweats) and joggers can easily be styled up with accessories. Warm and lazy—  but make it fashion.

3.) Warm trench coats

Trench coats are a classic way to stay stylish and cute during the winter months. Tan and brown hues give major Burberry London vibes, and, with a chunky turtleneck underneath, you won’t have to be shivering on your way to your morning class.

4.) Turtleneck sweaters

Speaking of turtleneck sweaters, they’re probably one of the only perks to the cold weather. The high-neck collar trend doesn’t seem to be going away any time soon, so it’s safe to stock up on them. Above all, they keep you covered and toasty.

5.) Faux Fur Hoodies

Can you tell I’m obsessed with looking fluffy? Faux fur hoodies, or hoodies in general, are a fun way to beat the winter chill. You’ll be warm AND another step closer to being Chanel Oberlin.

Journalism major at Emerson College. Coffee and clothing enthusiast.
Emerson contributor