andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Ways to Prepare for Spring Study Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.
Now that you’ve been accepted, chosen your classes, and paid your dues, all there is left to do is wait! But studying abroad requires a lot of preparation, and lucky for you, winter break is a great opportunity to check things off your list. Here are five ways to prepare for your spring semester abroad!

1. Contact your bank

There’s nothing more terrible than arriving at your destination just to be rejected by the ATM. Many banks freeze accounts if they see that your card is being used in an unfamiliar place, or a location it hasn’t often been used in. This is great in case your card is stolen, but not so fun when you’re trying to buy souvenirs, plane tickets, or lunch! Do yourself a favor and get in touch with any and all of your banks before leaving. Let them know when you’ll be gone and where you’ll be visiting to ensure that you’ll have access to your account!

2. Go to the doctor

While it probably won’t be impossible to see a doctor in your study abroad location, it’s a lot more convenient to just stay healthy and avoid a complicated visit! Make sure to pay a visit to all your doctors’ offices in good time before you leave. This will allow you to get any shots you may need and fill prescriptions that you may not have access to in your new home.

3. Refine your packing list

A week’s vacation is easy enough to pack for, but it’s just not the same when you’ll be gone for months! You’ll want to take time to list anything and everything you need to bring, how many and what kinds of suitcases and bags you’ll want to bring, and what you need to buy before departing, Mapping out your packing and buying list will make the trip a lot easier!

4. Save money

We all know that studying abroad isn’t the cheapest experience, but there are always ways to save! Utilize your winter break time to get back to work and make a little extra cash. Consider taking the time to sit down and map out your budget for when you’re abroad, allotting a certain amount of money for travel, food, and fun.

5. Make your bucket list

You only have a certain amount of time abroad, so make the best of it! Ensure that you see everything you want to see and do everything you want to do by creating a study abroad bucket list before you set off. List museums you want to visit, cities you want to travel to, and foods you want to try out!

While you may be itching to get on that plane and head to your destination, you should be making sure you’re prepared first. Use your extra time during winter break to prep for your best semester yet!
Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Emerson contributor