christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Underrated, Unrecognized Social Media Sites

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

Hey collegiettes!

So everyone knows about Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram – especially those of us at Emerson. In fact, I think one of my first assignments in a VMA class was to make a Twitter account. But there are tons of social media sites out there that are less known than the top two or three but have just as cool and convenient features! Here are a few for you to check out:

1.  Keek: Keek’s tagline is “fast, fun, and easy to use” – and that’s exactly what it is. Keek is a site that allows you to share quick video updates with friends online. It allows you to meet new people, keep in touch with friends, and express yourself through video. Just like a lot of other social media sites, Keek has dashboard, comment, subscription, and dashboard features – the best of all worlds! It has some of the same convenient qualities as Facebook and Twitter, but allows you to show your creative side and express yourself more clearly with video.

2.  Google Plus: I know G+ doesn’t have the greatest reputation among dedicated Facebook/Twitter/Instagram users, but it really does have some great features! I first got a Google Plus account when I came to college so I could keep in touch with friends via group video chats. Skype and Facetime are awesome for video chatting, but they don’t let you include up to 12 users at once like G+ does. It also has the simple friends (circles) and groups (communities) features like our favorites – but Google does it with its own flair. Plus, it’s super easy to get one if you already have a gmail account – now you can keep your email, Youtube, and G+ accounts all under the same name.

3.  Foursquare: This is an app that allows you to check into different locations like stores, bars, restaurants, etc. It’s a social networking site that lets you tell friends and family where you are and who you’re with. The more places you check in, the more points you get – so it has elements of a game, but it’s based on real life. And while you’re moving up the ranks with friends and fellow FourSquarers, you can read tips and real reviews and maybe even get discount coupons to wherever you’re going!

4.  Vine: So you’ve probably heard of Snapchat, an app that lets you send timed photos to friends. Vine is something similar. It allows you to create short, looping videos for friends and family to see. They don’t disappear after a few seconds, but they last about that long. You can upload Vine videos to Facebook and Twitter for all of your friends and followers to see. This app is great if you like the creativity of video-making, the brevity of Twitter and Snapchat, and the interaction of most other social networking sites.

5.  MeetUp: MeetUp is another underrecognized social networking site, but it’s drastically different from our favorites in that it encourages people to meet in real life. This website aims to connect  people with common interests and help them self-organize. Though MeetUp is not nearly as known as major social media sites, it’s incredibly successful, with people getting together somewhere on the planet every 13 seconds (says the Business 2 Community website). MeetUp is great if you want to build real, strong connections in a short time frame and act upon those connections. 

Megan is a Community Manager at Her Campus, working to grow and maintain networks of 3300+ Influencers and 1000+ High School Ambassadors. She conceptualizes and executes new programming initiatives for network members, assists the Integrated Marketing team on paid client campaigns for bloggers and ambassadors, and serves as the public face of both the InfluenceHer Collective and the High School Ambassador Program.
Sara graduated from Emerson College in December 2013 with her B.S. in Marketing Communication. She loves writing, designing and DIY.  Follow her on twitter @SaraWynkoop