sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sagar patil 8UcNYpynFLU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Things You Love to Hate About the Holidays if You’re Actually a Grinch

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

1. Christmas music

Possibly the worst part of the holidays is having to hear the same 5 songs covered by 3944920473 different artists for about 3 months straight. Maybe it wouldn’t be too bad if Christmas music only played on every radio station and in every store the week of Christmas itself, or at the very least only in December. But having to listen to the same lame songs over and over again for practically the entire season is a great way to make you want to say bah humbug instead of sing “Deck the Halls.”

2. Christmas movies

I still don’t understand why Christmas movies are a thing. You’d think we’d be fine with a few, but from those hitting the big screen to those that are made for TV or go straight to DVD, there’s probably enough Christmas movies out there to last a lifetime. From Christmas love stories (which, I mean if this is supposed to be marketed as a holiday for friends and family, can’t that stranger you met at the ski lodge wait until New Year’s) to Christmas horror movies (how can somebody take a horror movie about arguably the most peppy holiday. Seriously?) I wouldn’t be surprised if one year Santa is fighting bad guys in an action movie.

3. Holiday decorations

We’ve all seen those specials around the holidays where people deck out their houses in enough lights to be seen from space. I honestly can’t fathom why anyone would want to spend that much time putting up so many decorations just to take them down a few weeks later. But I really don’t understand the need behind the inflatable decorations some people put on their lawns. If anyone wants to explain the fascination of those inflatable snowpeople or Santas to me, let me know, because I’m at a loss for a logical explanation. Also, what’s up with ugly holiday sweaters (which I will argue is human decoration for the sake of this section?) Why would anyone want to purposely purchase or wear a sweater they think is hideous, and a sweater that you can only wear for a very small portion of the year at that? Holiday logic has gone out the window.

4. Gift shopping

Don’t get me wrong, I love presents, but I hate the stress about having to try the right gift for everyone and their great aunt. Can’t we all just agree not to put that kind of stress and expense on ourselves and just get something for those we actually hang out with frequently? Is it really necessary to send holiday cards to your nextdoor neighbor and your dentist? Let’s be real, you’re probably not going to use that lotion that your coworker got you, so why even bother getting it for 20 other people.

5. The “perfect” holiday weather

I’m from Miami, my holidays always included a trip to Santa’s Enchanted Forest when I was a kid, and my holidays were never colder than the 50s. So maybe this is just me, but I don’t understand the fascination over a “white Christmas”. Why does everyone love a holiday season that just involves being cold all the time. Have fun dreaming about that kiss in the snow under the mistletoe. You’ll probably just end up with snow and wind wind everywhere, and a less than glamorous runny nose. So romantic.

Senior at Emerson College. WLP: Publishing major. Double minoring in Latin American and Latinx Studies, and Marketing Communications. Aspiring managing editor. Bookworm (especially when it comes to YA). Disney Geek. Ravenclaw.
Emerson contributor