This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Emerson chapter.

When it comes to getting in the holiday spirit, one often thinks to play Christmas songs on repeat and binge watch Christmas movies. We often forget that some of our favorite TV shows have had classic Christmas episodes that will not only make us laugh and cry but will put us in the true holiday spirit. 

Friends: “The One With The Holiday Armadillo”

Friends is known for its whacky and memorable holiday episodes, and this episode from the seventh season is as out there as ever. In preparation for the upcoming holiday season, Ross aims to teach his son Ben about their Jewish heritage, feeling he’s only exposed to Christmas traditions. This results in Ross wearing the iconic Holiday Armadillo outfit in order to teach Ben about Hanukkah and the Festival of Lights, along with Chandler and Joey showing up as Santa and Superman. Not only is this episode hilarious due to the Holiday Armadillo and other subplots, but it gives an important message of celebrating all types of holidays and knowing where you come from. 

Seinfeld: “The Strike”

This episode is the birth of Festivus: a holiday George’s father created in response to the commercialization of Christmas. George, due to his cheap demeanor, finds a way to save money during the holiday season by giving his coworkers cards stating a donation was made in their name to “The Human Fund,” a charity of George’s own imagination. When George is found out he blames it on Festivus. Like all Seinfeld episodes, this one is funny, but it also shows the holiday spirit in the new light of Festivus. 

Gilmore Girls: “Forgiveness and Stuff”

The holidays are often a season of tension for families, and while this is often glossed over, Gilmore Girls hits the nail on the head. First, Emily un-invites Lorelei to their Christmas party. Then, the dynamic duo of Rory and Lorelei are feuding. In the end though, the ability of family to forgive and come together is shown when a medical emergency hits the Gilmore household in the midst of the party. Plus, Luke makes Lorelei a Santa burger!

Modern Family: “Express Christmas”

Realizing they will all be separated for Christmas, the Pritchett and Dunphy clans aim to have an “Express Christmas” before everyone leaves. Chaos and fights follow as each group is unable to fulfill their task: no turkey, a broken Christmas tree, destroyed ornaments, smushed presents. Feelings get hurt and the feuding starts. The family comes back together though, and in the spirit of Christmas realizes everything doesn’t need to be perfect, they just need to be together. Fake snow and touching moments of Jay being a great dad follow. 

The Office: “Christmas Party”

Christmas is the season of giving, and in this episode of The Office, the gang take on the task of Secret Santa for their office Christmas party. Complications arise though, as budgets are broken and disappointments occur, switching the Secret Santa into a Yankee Swap free for all. In true office Christmas party fashion, alcohol is added to the equation, creating a fun, bitter, and nudity filled night. Plus, Jim gets Pam a super cute and thoughtful present!

While the must-watch Christmas movies give us Santa Claus and Christmas miracles, these shows give us a real life look at Christmas and what the holiday season is truly about.

Lindsey Paradis has loved Boston all her life, and coming from a small Western Mass town she’s had time to enjoy it. Now at Emerson as a Writing, Literature, and Publishing major, she has more than enough time to take in the beautiful city. When she’s not working with preschoolers, Lindsey finds herself writing stories, hanging out with friends, reading her way through Game of Thrones, and watching Sex & the City.
Emerson contributor